10GB or Quad Giga Bit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Brown

Explorer
I know this might be a little over kill but I wanted input on this. I am guessing you need my specs before answering.

Motherboard: Supermicro X10SLH
CPU: Xeon V3 1230
RAM: 32 GB of ECC DDR3
SAS/SATA Expander: M1015 flashed to 9211 P20
HDD: 7x of 2TB WD RED SATA3(not like it matters for sata3)
NIC: Currently I have 10GB Chelsio card and its at 10 GB.
Switch supports 10GB with SFP which I am using a TWINAX cable.

Now my question is it better to go from 10GB to quad intel GB NIC and use LACP or have each jail on its own port?

I currently have 4 jails (plex, sabnzbd, couchpotato, sonarr) and a few shares that our local pc and laptops access. Also I might be looking at adding a few more jails. Maybe I just do both the 10GB and quad nic? I have the room for it on my switch.

Steve Brown

Explorer
Yeah you might be right. When I was reading the doc it said it was possible in 9.3 to assign a nic/interface but I am unable to uncheck VIMAGE to be able to do this. I am guessing this is because it was setup from the plugins. If I created my own jails I might be able to do this.

If I am not able to do this is it better to stay with 10GB or go to quad nic LACP?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I don't think this is possible.

It is, but it involves a level of networking-fu well above average. Plus, to do it right, you're talking separate subnets.

In response to the OP, you've already got 10G. Just use it. Even if you have a quad Intel card, the 10G is much better. Unless you're actually managing to fill the 10G, the experience is much more pleasant just to go all 10G.

Steve Brown

Explorer
Got it thanks for the input. I am not filling the 10G and until I do then I will revisit.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Also if your switch supports 10G then it probably has a pair of uplinks, use LACP and build a 20G link aggregation. Still nicer than quad 1G botchery.

Steve Brown

Explorer
Yes it does have a pair of uplinks. I do have a dual SFP Chelsio card as well. Only thing is when I go to do LACP in FreeNAS its not giving me the option to select my Chelsio interfaces. See screenshots below.
upload_2016-1-14_13-38-35.png

upload_2016-1-14_13-38-47.png

Steve Brown

Explorer
Those are my onboard NIC's on the motherboard that I do not use.

Status
Not open for further replies.