9.2.1.6 - ISCSI & ESXI 5.5 Slow Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

ndboost

Explorer
Well, you kind of failed your benchmarking exam. doing tests from /dev/zero if you didn't disable compression is pointless. Performance will be higher because those zeros compress very well.
i know this, is disabled on the pools in which im writing to.

You also never told me what the ZIL drive is, but I'm almost willing to bet the cost of a nice ZIL-appropriate drive that your drive isn't a good fit for a ZIL, regardless of whatever numbers you have. ;)
its a kingston 30gb mlc that I had laying around.. Yeah i know, should be using an SLC or a high end MLC at the least.. tbh for the cost of an appropriate MLC ssd the money would be better spent on a new mobo and cpu like we've talked about dozens of times already :). This is what I had laying around and as such it went in.

There's a bunch of other comments i'd make, but to be honest, I'm not really interested in explaining it much tonight. I'm tired from work, etc etc etc. I have no doubt that once you try using this you'll realize this isn't working out. So I'll let you keep doing it.
are you at the conference with the other ix guys this week?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
its a kingston 30gb mlc that I had laying around.. Yeah i know, should be using an SLC or a high end MLC at the least.. tbh for the cost of an appropriate MLC ssd the money would be better spent on a new mobo and cpu like we've talked about dozens of times already :). This is what I had laying around and as such it went in.

Yes, but the problem isn't just MLC versus SLC. It is entirely possible to put an SSD in as an SLOG and have it actually hurt pool performance. We've seen people buy the latest 6Gb/s Samsungs and Crucials and seen performance decrease. I have no doubt that 30GB drive isn't remotely as fast as those, so I tend to think you're going backwards with what you are doing.

are you at the conference with the other ix guys this week?
Yeah. Been at work 12-14 hours a day every day this week. :P

ndboost

Explorer
Yes, but the problem isn't just MLC versus SLC. It is entirely possible to put an SSD in as an SLOG and have it actually hurt pool performance. We've seen people buy the latest 6Gb/s Samsungs and Crucials and seen performance decrease. I have no doubt that 30GB drive isn't remotely as fast as those, so I tend to think you're going backwards with what you are doing.

Yeah. Been at work 12-14 hours a day every day this week. :p
bummer :P .. not sure if you connected the dots or not.. i am gorelative.. lol .. what conference is it again?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
MeetBSD 2014.

No, not connecting the dots at the moment. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.