10Gb forum?

melloa

Wizard
Remember the fun old days of "networking" with 110 baud acoustic couplers? How far we've come.

You just gave away your age, using bauds LOL

You just gave away your age, using bauds LOL
I suppose I am doing even worse mentioning that the 110 baud accoustic coupler I used was attached to a teletype....

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I suppose I am doing even worse mentioning that the 110 baud accoustic coupler I used was attached to a teletype....

You had a teletype...! Some of us just had pencil and paper and listened to the handset and whistled appropriately to send our keystrokes.

... in the snow... uphill ... 10 miles... both directions... :tongue:

melloa

Wizard

Please stop! Its bringing back memories when I had to transfer files to be processed at my headquarters @ 300 BAUDS to be processed on our 4341, and receive the reports back to deliver to local clients ... at least was a dedicated line :rolleyes:

rvassar

Guru
If you know what Burroughs B1799, IBM 4341, z-80 and Motorola 68000 are, you can guess my age.

I hit the EPO switch on IBM 3145 when I was five. Learned some new words from my father's coworker... ;)

Snow

Patron
Lol I bet To bad they did not have good cctv back then. I bet you, you would have made youtube if it would have been around.

melloa

Wizard
Lol I bet To bad they did not have good cctv back then. I bet you, you would have made youtube if it would have been around.

That's why we, the old guys, built all for you all :)

I, for instance, built the first commercial ISP in NE Brazil, with 100 PCs on a Novell network, using a 64K (sixty four K) link with the backbone.... as a hobby :cool:

Snow

Patron
That's why we, the old guys, built all for you all :)

I, for instance, built the first commercial ISP in NE Brazil, with 100 PCs on a Novell network, using a 64K (sixty four K) link with the backbone.... as a hobby :cool:

I am not that old but as I get close to my forty's I look back at some of the stuff I did, Wow that's pretty cool. I did not get in to networking till later in life so I did not get to play with all the old stuff. (Poke Poke);) I came in around fast Ethernet.

Oh yeah one last thing, I for got to post you can get armored om3 or om4 fiber made to size from fs.com. Also they do not charge more for custom size's. As a home gamer this is great for you. Only thing that sucked is it's a 3 to 4 week wait for custom size's. You could spend more to get it faster but for me to set up 3 more Work stations it was around 70 shipped! Around 30 Meters of fiber

Last edited:

rvassar

Guru
I came in around fast Ethernet.

I learned to solder a few years after the EPO incident. I later learned TCP/IP networking by tying something similar to those acoustic coupled modems to a 2 meter Ham Radio rig. I was at Sun Microsystems when Fast Ethernet came in. :cool:

Snow

Patron
Do we Have a 10Gb Demystify Resource? If we do not might me a good idea to wright one up. Like where you would use's a Passive or Active DAC cable. DAC vs Fiber vs 10Ge, the Different type's of fiber OM2, OM3, OM4. The different types of fiber terminations Like LC, SC, LC Duplex. I know LC has Became pretty much the standard. Different types of small form factor transceivers like SFP'S, SFP+, & QSFP. What they are used for and what type you should use. I think a Sub Forum would be great idea but may be a little much As there is a lot of info in the 10GB world. It can be overwhelming at 1st. Not sure if you've gone over this in your 10Gb Networking Primer jgreco?

Last edited:

Snow

Patron
At this point I think a 10/40/100/200 sub would be a good idea.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Well, the reason I push towards optics and SFP's in the 10 Gig primer is because it works pretty similarly for 25G, and 40G/100G are just QSFP variants, so they're really the same(-ish) too.

However, yes, point made. The problem is that I don't want to overcomplexify the topic and scare off newbies. Anyone who's worked with category cable knows that Cat5, 5e, 6, 6A are all slight variations on a theme and that gigE works fine on all of them, sometimes even on Cat3 for sufficiently short distances. It probably warrants a physical media topic. Damn, I just had something else worth touching on and I lost it. :frownyface:

Snow

Patron
I agree about scaring new people away, that equals bad. Yes I agree 10G is not like normal networking where you just plug and play. It is getting there though, Now that we see more consumer hardware dropping with 2.5G, 5G and even 10GB/s.

I hate when that happens. I guess that is just what happens when you get old .

Constantin

Vampire Pig
It's not that complex. For SOHO use, a couple of recommendations for transceivers, connectors, and fiber for standard SOHO use can likely be made. Ignore the other stuff unless you want to go educate yourself further, need to bridge long distances, or have other needs outside the norm.

For me, the biggest issue is that while 10GbE sounds grand, converting your home network to 10GbE is unlikely to unleash some sort of speedracer. Instead, one weakest link (1GbE) is likely replaced by a (slightly?) faster weakest link (Pool, CPU, etc.)