BUILD 10bay FreeNAS box (first build)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyris212

Dabbler
Hi guys,

I've been using FreeNAS on an older PC for a couple of months.
Now I want to build my own production box to store media files and personal data on it.

Currently I'm using 4*4TB WD RED's, but I want it to be expendable to a maximum of 10 disks.
So using 4TB or 6TB disks, it will need around 40GB to 60GB ECC RAM.
It should also be capable to run 3-4 Jails (PLEX, PyLoad, OwnCloud, Syslog/Logstash).
It will also backup my pfSense box and couple of DigitalOcean Droplets through rsync tasks.
There are only a handfull of people accessing it, so it will run most of the time idle.

What I've seen/read, there are 2 possibilites that both support upto 64GB ECC RAM.
The First one is going with an Supermicro X9/X10 board using a LGA2011/LGA2011r3 socket.
The Second would be to use one of the Supermicro's awesome Avoton boards...

I've tested FreeNAS using an i7 860 for the last few months, which is only a bit better then the Atom C2750.
The only CPU intensive task was compilling the PyLoad port... So I don't really see the point in buying a Xeon... HBA and mainboard provide 10 SATA3 and 4 SATA2 Ports which is more then enough...

Build A:
But the avotons UDIMM's are just to pricy I will go with Build B:
What do you think?

Last edited:

marbus90

Guru
If you plan above 32GB RAM, get a Xeon E5 system. An Avoton 64GB system costs 30% more than a Xeon E5 64GB system (the latter being equipped with 4x16GB RDIMMs with expansion to 128GB possible and tons more of CPU power).

(all prices including 19% tax, roughly translates to USD without tax)
X10SRL-F for 280EUR
E5-1620 v3 (it's a Quadcore, it's still good enough. you only need more ram, not more CPU) for ~300EUR
4x16GB Crucial (probably not QVL) for ~700EUR total or 1x16GB Samsung (QVL) for ~180EUR each.

stefanb

Patron
I agree to marbus90, with an additional info:
The X10SRL-F has 10x SATA3 (6Gbps) ports - no need to buy the IBM ServeRaid M1015 :)
Need more SATA? Maybe the Supermicro MBD-X10SL7-F-O is a choice - up to 14xSATA with IT Mode-Patch - but only 32GB RAM max...

S.

sremick

Patron
Are we sure this system really needs 64GB RAM?

stefanb

Patron
16GB + 1GB for each TB of HDD space.
16GB + 4*6 = 40GB RAM recommended.

marbus90

Guru
I'd say more like 1GB per TB, but at least 8GB for whatever you're running. Since most boards will prefer dual over single dimms and 4GB DIMMs are a waste of money, 16GB is the recommended minimum. With s.2011-3 the best DIMM size would be 16GB RDIMMs, so start with 32 on those.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Isnt that one of those inaccurate statements everyone makes about ZFS, similiar to the "optimal" number of disks to have in a pool?

I wouldn't put it that way.

It's not a strict rule. It's a nice rule of thumb that gives you approximately where your memory should be. You can safely stray from it, particularly once you're into 64+ GB of RAM. You might also need a crapton more RAM, if you have a nasty workload.

As for optimal pool sizes, I wouldn't call it inaccurate, but that's a discussion for another topic.

32GB of RAM can be limiting. If someone says "I want a crapton of storage and am willing to pay for 64GB of RAM", I'm not going to argue they might get away with 32GB - it might bite them in the ass rather soon.

cyris212

Dabbler
Thanks a lot for your answers guys!

I did some math on the pricing and marbus90 is totaly right...
The Avoton boards are almost everytime around 30% more expensive and you get way less computing power.
I will go with a LGA2011 r3 board an the E5-1620v3.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.