10 GB dual or quad port network card that works in SCALE

Patrick_3000

Contributor
I have had bad luck getting a dual or quad port 10GB network card to work in SCALE. I recently tried an Intel X710-DA2, Dell branded, and it was not recognized. A while ago, I tried a Mellanox Connect X-3 dual card, and it was not recognized. I also at one point tried a very old dual Q Logic card that I had lying around, and it was not recognized. By "not recognized," I mean the cards are not only not visible in the SCALE UI. They're also not visible through the CLI with commands such as ethtool and lshw.

I currently have a single port 10 GB network card installed, and it works perfectly. It's a Trendnet branded card with Aquantia drivers and an SFP+ port.

My CPU is Ryzen 5 Pro 5650G, and my motherboard is ASRock Rack x570d4u.

Does anyone know of a dual or quad port 10 GB network card that you can confirm for sure works in SCALE? I don't have a strong preference between SFP+ and Base-T. I need at least a dual port card, but if there's a quad port card available for a reasonable price, that would be even better.

Last edited:

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Hey @Patrick_3000

The X710 series is one of the cards that's used by iXsystems in our own hardware, so it should definitely be recognized.

If the card isn't visible in lspci or lshw then that speaks to a potential hardware level issue. Would you be willing to open a "Report a Bug" issue and include a debug file (System -> Advanced -> Save Debug) with it?

Patrick_3000

Contributor
Hey @Patrick_3000

The X710 series is one of the cards that's used by iXsystems in our own hardware, so it should definitely be recognized.

If the card isn't visible in lspci or lshw then that speaks to a potential hardware level issue. Would you be willing to open a "Report a Bug" issue and include a debug file (System -> Advanced -> Save Debug) with it?
I have yanked the X710-DA2 card since I couldn't get it to work. However, when I have a chance in the next few days (most likely Friday), I will reinstall and Report a Bug.

As I noted, however, I'm apparently not the only one who could not get an X710-DA2 to work in SCALE.

That being said, if someone knows of a specific card that verifiably works without any special configuration in SCALE, I would still be interested in hearing about it.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Where did you get the card? Could it be a fake one?

Patrick_3000

Contributor
Where did you get the card? Could it be a fake one?
Ebay. I have no idea if it's fake and wouldn't know how to tell. But as I noted, I'm not the only one who has apparently had a problem with this card. Of course, they could both be fake.

However, it would be nice to hear from someone who actually has a specific card working in SCALE.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Checking Linux in general would certainly be a good first approximation for this. It would also help to narrow down the aspect of fake cards.

Most likely something like an X520-DA2 would work, although this is not RJ-45 but SFP+.

Patrick_3000

Contributor
Checking Linux in general would certainly be a good first approximation for this. It would also help to narrow down the aspect of fake cards.

Most likely something like an X520-DA2 would work, although this is not RJ-45 but SFP+.
Thanks. I'm agnostic regarding RJ-45 (Base-T) vs. SFP+. Both would work equally well for me. I bought the X710-DA2, which is SFP+, because I thought it would work in SCALE based on the fact that others have said that other X710 cards worked, but it seems that not all cards in the X710 series work the same.

That's why I'm also hesitant to gamble on an X520-D2 unless someone can verify that one definitely works in SCALE for them.

I will broaden out the search to Linux more generally. However, one tricky thing about that is that some cards may work in a specific Linux kernel but only if drivers are installed separately, which isn't possible to do in SCALE as I understand it.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
I will broaden out the search to Linux more generally. However, one tricky thing about that is that some cards may work in a specific Linux kernel but only if drivers are installed separately, which isn't possible to do in SCALE as I understand it.
I would be hard-pressed to put something like the X520-DA2 into that category. It is a standard enterprise NIC and as such should absolutely work.

The really crucial part is actually to source from a reputable supplier. A company that resells used enterprise gear is your best bet here.

Patrick_3000

Contributor
I would be hard-pressed to put something like the X520-DA2 into that category. It is a standard enterprise NIC and as such should absolutely work.

The really crucial part is actually to source from a reputable supplier. A company that resells used enterprise gear is your best bet here.
Thanks. I'm going to do a bit more looking and see if I can find something reasonably priced from a reputable supplier with a return policy in case it doesn't work, but if I can't, I'll go with the IXsystems branded card despite its relatively high price because at least I know it will work.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
I'll go with the IXsystems branded card despite its relatively high price because at least I know it will work.
Unless it is a fake card. If you meant to also purchase it from iXsystems, then forget my comment, of course ;-)

Patrick_3000

Contributor

chuck32

Guru
That's why I'm also hesitant to gamble on an X520-D2 unless someone can verify that one definitely works in SCALE for them.
I'm installing that card tomorrow on my scale system. I can report back it it worked but from everything I read I wouldn't know why it shouldn't work.

As for spotting a fake: my cards came with yottamark stickers.

Patrick_3000

Contributor
I'm installing that card tomorrow on my scale system. I can report back it it worked but from everything I read I wouldn't know why it shouldn't work.

As for spotting a fake: my cards came with yottamark stickers.
Thanks. I would love to hear back.

chuck32

Guru
Thanks. I would love to hear back.
Except for the runaround because apparently the transceivers were either broken or incompatible everything worked right out of the box under scale.

Patrick_3000

Contributor
Except for the runaround because apparently the transceivers were either broken or incompatible everything worked right out of the box under scale.
That's great to hear. It's the first report I've seen from a SCALE user of a dual-port 10 GB card, whether SFP+ or Base-T, that verifiably works. I'm going to order one. Sorry about your bad transceivers.

chuck32

Guru
No problem! I can't imagine I'm the first scale use to use an x520 though.

Keep in mind my I only used one port because I don't have a switch to test something like link aggregation and obviously I dont have enough working transceivers ;)
But again, I don't see why you couldn't use both ports / why they shouldn't work.

Attachments

• IMG-20231027-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20231027-WA0000.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 66

danb35

Hall of Famer
It's the first report I've seen from a SCALE user of a dual-port 10 GB card, whether SFP+ or Base-T, that verifiably works.
My Chelsio T420E-CR (dual-port, SFP+) verifiably works under SCALE, just as it did under CORE. But it isn't high on my recommended list any more because they aren't as widely (or inexpensive) available as they once were. I haven't used my Solarflare card under SCALE, but it works well under Proxmox, which is also Debian-based.

Last edited:

tiro_uspsss

Cadet
I've had success with Mellanox Connect-x2 (single port) & Chelsio 440 (quad port)

3 cards not working seems sus.. I'd be looking at the mobo