Zpool unavailable after hardware upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gooberpatrol66

Dabbler
I had a freenas server running 2 mirrored 1tb hard drives in one zpool. I moved to a new motherboard and added 2 more hard drives and the volume disappeared, even though all 4 hard drives are online. How can I get it back?

Code:
zpool import -c /boot/zfs/zpool.cache.bak                    
   pool: Vol1                                                                  
     id: 14086798931346695533                                                  
  state: UNAVAIL                                                              
status: One or more devices are missing from the system.                      
action: The pool cannot be imported. Attach the missing                      
        devices and try again.                                                
   see: http://illumos.org/msg/ZFS-8000-3C                                    
config:                                                                      

Vol1                     UNAVAIL  insufficient replicas                
          mirror-0               UNAVAIL  insufficient replicas                
            9085847569967387614  UNAVAIL  cannot open                          
            8792823045204158374  UNAVAIL  cannot open         

zpool import -d /dev does nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arwen

MVP
Try running a simple;

zpool import -o mountpount=/mnt/Vol1 Vol1

My take is that the new hardware uses a different drive naming convention than
your old hardware. Thus, the ZFS cache file can't pick up the disks. Let ZFS find
the disks for you.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
I moved to a new motherboard and added 2 more hard drives and the volume disappeared,
Have you tried to use the GUI to import the pool? If you use the cli, freenas won't be aware of it.

Gooberpatrol66

Dabbler
Try running a simple;

zpool import -o mountpount=/mnt/Vol1 Vol1

My take is that the new hardware uses a different drive naming convention than
your old hardware. Thus, the ZFS cache file can't pick up the disks. Let ZFS find
the disks for you.

I get property 'mountpoint' is not a valid pool property

Have you tried to use the GUI to import the pool? If you use the cli, freenas won't be aware of it.
The pool does not appear in the GUI.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant

Arwen

MVP
I get property 'mountpoint' is not a valid pool property

The pool does not appear in the GUI.
Sorry, it's really;

zpool import -R /mnt/Vol1 Vol1

Sometimes it's hard to get the exact syntax of a command, if you can't try it out.

Gooberpatrol66

Dabbler
Can you provide a screenshot of what FreeNas presents at Step 2 of the "Import Volume" process?
http://doc.freenas.org/9.10/storage.html?#import-volume
u9cEoMS.png

Sorry, it's really;

zpool import -R /mnt/Vol1 Vol1

Sometimes it's hard to get the exact syntax of a command, if you can't try it out.

cannot import 'Vol1': no such pool available

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
And what is the output of 'camcontrol devlist -v'?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
output of glabel list and gpart show?

Gooberpatrol66

Dabbler
And what is the output of 'camcontrol devlist -v'?
Code:
scbus0 on ahcich0 bus 0:                                                                                                           
<>                                 at scbus0 target -1 lun -1 ()                                                                   
scbus1 on ahcich1 bus 0:                                                                                                           
<>                                 at scbus1 target -1 lun -1 ()                                                                   
scbus2 on ahcich2 bus 0:                                                                                                           
<>                                 at scbus2 target -1 lun -1 ()                                                                   
scbus3 on ahcich3 bus 0:                                                                                                           
<>                                 at scbus3 target -1 lun -1 ()                                                                   
scbus4 on ahcich4 bus 0:                                                                                                           
<>                                 at scbus4 target -1 lun -1 ()                                                                   
scbus5 on ahcich5 bus 0:                                                                                                           
<>                                 at scbus5 target -1 lun -1 ()                                                                   
scbus6 on ahcich6 bus 0:                                                                                                           
<>                                 at scbus6 target -1 lun -1 ()                                                                   
scbus7 on ahcich7 bus 0:                                                                                                           
<>                                 at scbus7 target -1 lun -1 ()                                                                   
scbus8 on ahcich8 bus 0:                                                                                                           
<Corsair Force GT 5.07>            at scbus8 target 0 lun 0 (ada0,pass0)                                                           
<>                                 at scbus8 target -1 lun -1 ()                                                                   
scbus9 on ahcich9 bus 0:                                                                                                           
<>                                 at scbus9 target -1 lun -1 ()                                                                   
scbus10 on camsim0 bus 0:                                                                                                           
<>                                 at scbus10 target -1 lun -1 ()                                                                   
scbus11 on umass-sim0 bus 0:                                                                                                       
<Sony Card R/W  -CF 1.40>          at scbus11 target 0 lun 0 (pass1,da0)                                                           
<Sony Card R/W  -SM/xD 1.40>       at scbus11 target 0 lun 1 (pass2,da1)                                                           
<Sony Card R/W  -SD 1.40>          at scbus11 target 0 lun 2 (pass3,da2)                                                           
<Sony Card R/W  -MS 1.40>          at scbus11 target 0 lun 3 (pass4,da3)                                                           
scbus-1 on xpt0 bus 0:                                                                                                             
<>                                 at scbus-1 target -1 lun -1 (xpt0)     

output of glabel list and gpart show?

Code:
[root@freenas ~]# glabel list                                                                                                       
Geom name: ada0p1                                                                                                                   
Providers:                                                                                                                         
1. Name: gptid/e7a37ee2-9b0e-11e4-a4e8-94de80a88096                                                                                 
   Mediasize: 524288 (512k)                                                                                                         
   Sectorsize: 512                                                                                                                 
   Stripesize: 4096                                                                                                                 
   Stripeoffset: 0                                                                                                                 
   Mode: r0w0e0                                                                                                                     
   secoffset: 0                                                                                                                     
   offset: 0                                                                                                                       
   seclength: 1024                                                                                                                 
   length: 524288                                                                                                                   
   index: 0                                                                                                                         
Consumers:                                                                                                                         
1. Name: ada0p1                                                                                                                     
   Mediasize: 524288 (512k)                                                                                                         
   Mode: r0w0e0                                                                                                                     

Geom name: ada0p2                                                                                                                   
Providers:                                                                                                                         
1. Name: gptid/e7a41ad8-9b0e-11e4-a4e8-94de80a88096                                                                                 
   Mediasize: 60021915648 (55G)                                                                                                     
   Mode: r1w1e1                                                                                                                     
   secoffset: 0                                                                                                                     
   offset: 0                                                                                                                       
   seclength: 117230304                                                                                                             
   length: 60021915648                                                                                                             
   index: 0                                                                                                                         
Consumers:                                                                                                                         
1. Name: ada0p2                                                                                                                     
   Mediasize: 60021915648 (55G)                                                                                                     
   Mode: r1w1e2                           

Code:
[root@freenas ~]# gpart show                                                                                                       
=>       34  117231341  ada0  GPT  (55G)                                                                                           
         34          6        - free -  (3.0k)                                                                                     
         40       1024     1  bios-boot  (512k)                                                                                     
       1064  117230304     2  freebsd-zfs  (55G)                                                                                   
  117231368          7        - free -  (3.5k)                                                                   

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Looks like your disks aren't connected. Check your cables and controller.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
What are the system specs? What is the "Sony card"?

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Full hardware listing, please. Before and after. It should've been included right at the start. You can't expect people to guess what you've been doing.

Gooberpatrol66

Dabbler
Looks like your disks aren't connected. Check your cables and controller.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
weird, because I see 4 disks under "view disks". I just noticed they all have size of 0, though. Maybe my drive cages are bad?

What are the system specs? What is the "Sony card"?

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk
Just an SD card reader I threw in there because I had nowhere else to put it

Full hardware listing, please. Before and after. It should've been included right at the start. You can't expect people to guess what you've been doing.
Define "full". I have an SSD with freenas on it and 2 1TB hard drives I moved over from a gigabyte z87n motherboard to a supermicro x10srl-f motherboard, and then added 2 blank 1TB drives.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I just noticed they all have size of 0, though.
My guess is that they're just the card reader. It shows up as four separate SCSI devices.

Maybe my drive cages are bad?
Very important detail there. Get rid of everything between the SATA controller and the drives, except for short-ish SATA cables (0.5m maximum). Touch the drives to make sure they've spun up, too.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
weird, because I see 4 disks under "view disks". I just noticed they all have size of 0, though. Maybe my drive cages are bad?

Just an SD card reader I threw in there because I had nowhere else to put it

Define "full". I have an SSD with freenas on it and 2 1TB hard drives I moved over from a gigabyte z87n motherboard to a supermicro x10srl-f motherboard, and then added 2 blank 1TB drives.
Doubtful that those 4 disks are what you were expecting, since camcontrol and glabel both show exactly one physical hard disk connected, and that is your SSD boot disk.

Status
Not open for further replies.