zpool scrub schedule for : FreeNAS-8.0.2-RELEASE-amd64

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobime

Cadet
Hi everyone

I've tried searching the forums and checked the documentation, but to no avail. I need to find out information about the scheduled jobs for my version of FreeNAS. In particular, I wish to find out when zpool scrubbing takes place. Checking zpool status output from the command line reveals:

scrub: scrub completed after 1h17m with 0 errors on Sun Sep 1 11:28:01 2013

Any ideas how I can do this?

Thanks!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
In the GUI, go to Storage -> ZFS Scrubs. The manual explains what all the fields mean if it isn't obvious to you.

mobime

Cadet
cyberjock - thanks. I wish my version of freenas had that available on the menu, but it doesn't! Any other ideas most welcome. Thanks!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
What version are you using?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Oops. 8.0.2 doesn't have the ZFS scrub feature in the GUI. I never used 8.0.2(8.0.4 was my first). I'd highly recommend you upgrade to either 8.3.2 or 9.1.1 though. 8.0.2 has some serious security issues. I believe 8.3.2 has the ZFS scrub feature though, so that problem will be solved.

mobime

Cadet
ok, i think that is the route i will take, thanks. BTW, what security I am currently sitting on?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You'd have to read up on all the tickets since 8.0.2. I'm not sure on the specifics, but 8.0.4 has several p-releases because of security issues.

mobime

Cadet
Just completed the GUI upgrade to 9.1.1, which was flawless and took about 5-10 minutes to complete. Interface looks even more awesome and I can now see the scrubbing schedule. Thanks for your help.

diedrichg

Wizard
Now that you have upgraded, you have the OPTION to upgrade ZFS to the latest version. (There are some advantages to upgrading but I don't recall what they were, you'd have to look it up.) Be WARNED though that once ZFS is upgraded you can not go back in zfs version unless you copy your data to an external source, downgrade to a previous FreeNAS version and then copy back.

mobime

Cadet
hey diedrichg, I just tried to do that - however I cannot su - root any more since the upgrade, so running:

zpool upgrade mypool

fails if I try to run under my account. Googling around suggested changing/adding wheel as group to my account, which is also the admin user. However, I still get:

[p@freenas] ~% su - root
su: Sorry

However, see:
[p@freenas] ~% id p
uid=1003(p) gid=0(wheel) groups=0(wheel)
Any ideas?
thanks!

diedrichg

Wizard
I used the GUI shell and followed the instructions in the doc.freenas pages and it worked for me.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
mobime,

Before you upgrade your pool you should let FreeNAS run for a week or two. There's no hurry to upgrade your zpool version unless you are about to use a new feature that the upgrade will provide. Once you've upgraded you will not be able to downgrade. Many people have been hasty to upgrade their pool and found that FreeNAS 9.x wasn't working quite right on their computer. But since they had already upgraded their pool downgrading wasn't an option.

I haven't upgraded my zpool and I've been on 9.x for more than a month. ;)

mobime

Cadet
diedrichg - i will try through the gui in due course
cyberjock - sound advice, thanks. I'll hold off for now.

Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.