zpool not listed/drives show pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soli

Cadet
Hi Folks. First time caller, long time user....

Been running FreeNAS on an HP workstation XW8200 for about two years. (4) 2TB Seagates on an LSI SATA card, 16GB of memory....it's been flawless, until Sunday night/Monday morning's weekly scrub. Sunday afternoon, I also upgraded to update U4.

Post or during scrub, I wake up Monday morning to a sea of CAM Status: ATA Status Errors ATA Status 51 DRDY SERV ERER Error 04 SETFEATURES SET TRANSFER MODE

After cleaning myself up because I just realized I killed my RSYNC to Amazon Cloud recently.......I got to reading the forums. I've been doing so every spare minute since Monday morning.

I found one of my (4) Seagates was reporting 32GB instead of 1800+GB. Right there, I knew I was in trouble. I tried myriad diagnostics reported by other users. I booted up in Solaris, I've booted off FreeNAS live CD's as well. Created a new USB boot, imported old config...no dice. What do i get to?

Kernel panic. After FreeNAS goes thru boot, it comes up to "Beginning ZFS volume imports" and it shows "importing 122345678993856838 <poolID>

Fatal trap 12: Page fault while in kernel mode.
Fault code is "Supervisor read data. page not present.
A bunch of other data that I have found reading the forum posts, isn't relevant to most.

If I boot into single user mode, I can cause the page fault by issuing most 'zpool import xxx' commands. If I show zpool status, I only see the Freenas Boot. My volume is called 'vol1'

I run a glabel status and can see long gptid guid names and components ending in ada0p1 - ada2p2.

If I ZDB to the disks themselves, I can see the pool name on 3 of the (4) disks. 'vol1'. Plain as day. as well as pool_guid matching the import number that causes the crash.

Checked the zpool cache file, no references to vol1

Am I toast? Thanks in advance for any flaming advice!

Soli

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Pool layout? Can you run smart tests against the drives? Sounds like you had a couple drives die.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Soli

Cadet
Hey S&L...

I don't have the pool layout handy. Suffice it to say I used every bit of that 8TB that ZFS would allow. I can run smart tests against the 3 remaining drives and those come back as passed.

Pool layout? Can you run smart tests against the drives? Sounds like you had a couple drives die.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

danb35

Hall of Famer
Suffice it to say I used every bit of that 8TB that ZFS would allow.
If that means that you striped all four disks, and any of them has failed, your data is lost. Restore from backup.

Soli

Cadet
running zpool import as stated in description panics the kernel. zpool status shows no pools other than the freenas boot.

What's the output, in code tags, of zpool import and zpool status?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
zpool import, by itself, with no pool name, causes a kernel panic? No, you didn't say that in the OP.
I was thinking the same thing, no way a zpool import command panics the kernel. If it does this system is the most messed up thing I have ever seen.

Soli

Cadet
Said it right here: " I can cause the page fault by issuing most 'zpool import xxx' commands". Yes, with no pool name, it will cause a panic.

zpool import, by itself, with no pool name, causes a kernel panic? No, you didn't say that in the OP.

Soli

Cadet
Appears I read more of the forum posts than you guys do. There are multiple references to people getting kernel panic during zpool import.

Thanks for all the help fellas. Will kick this one to the curb.

I was thinking the same thing, no way a zpool import command panics the kernel. If it does this system is the most messed up thing I have ever seen.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I can cause the page fault by issuing most 'zpool import xxx' commands
Yes, I read that. I interpreted it as meaning zpool import with arguments (like a pool name, for example). In other words that the "xxx" implied something following zpool import. But since you seem to be more interested in arguing than in providing information to help us help you, carry on.

danb35

Hall of Famer

styno

Patron
Sunday afternoon, I also upgraded to update U4
Maybe I shouldn't ask, but did you try to boot into your previous environment?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
There are multiple references to people getting kernel panic during zpool import.
Probably, the forum's been around for a while and all sorts of crazy corruption is bound to show up over the years on less-than-ideal systems. Doesn't mean it's close to being a common issue.

Stux

MVP
Suffice to say, if you have a 4 drive stripe and one of the seagates is now a 32GB drive (probably the drives firmware partition), then your data is toast.

No redundancy was madness. You knew this right?

Status
Not open for further replies.