zpool attach errors. Device is too Small

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac Thompson

Dabbler
Had a SSD fail in an all flash array with 11 x 2TB SSD mirrors on FreeNAS 11.1-U2. The array froze up with high disk IO. Had this before when adding a new disk so I physically removed the failed drive and added a replacement then rebooted. IO issue fixed however now I have have one of my vdev in a non redundant single disk stripe. So to recreate the mirror I need to do a zpool attach. I ran the command zpool attach -f CROSSD <poolname> /dev/da2 <striped single vdev> /dev/da3 <new SSD to add to the mirror>. Got the error back no such device in pool. I assume this is the right syntax - existing disk first followed by disk to be added? Anyway I thought maybe I needed to use gptid so I ran zpool attach -f CROSSD gptid/d4b12cb8-fa5e-11e6-bd35-00074336d800 /dev/da3 and got device is too small. They are both 2TB SSD, admittedly one is Samsung and one is SanDisk but is there a work around? Ive read two articles. One suggested I need to change the swap file for the array to 0, which I don't know what the effect will be so I'm hesitant and another that says I need to run gpart commands to create partitions on the new disk before I add it. Any have one have some ideas?

FreeNAS 11.1-U2. HPE DL380 Gen9 - 2 processors, 327GB RAM. 11 x 2TB SSD vdevs (22 drives), 1.2TB Intel 3500 PCI SSD (L2ARC), 2 x 400GB Intel 3500 PCI SSD (ZIL), 2 x 32GB USB boot drive.

Last edited by a moderator:

garm

Wizard
You shouldn’t need to force it. But whatever, what is the block count on both da2 and da3, gpart show daX. If the Sandisk is smaller, you won’t be able to attach it and you would get a print out something like “device is too small” ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Mac Thompson

Dabbler
You shouldn’t need to force it. But whatever, what is the block count on both da2 and da3 , gpart show daX. If the Sandisk is smaller, you won’t be able to attach it and you would get a print out something like “device is too small” ;)
i get no such geom for da3. This is the new disk.

garm

Wizard
Okey, thought it would show unpartitioned as well. How about “user capacity” in smartctl -a /dev/daX?

wblock

Documentation Engineer
The easy way to check disk information is, well, diskinfo, like diskinfo -v da3.

Mac Thompson

Dabbler
Thanks all. It looks like my issue is simply size related. The SanDisk SSD's are small than the Samsung. I added the spare da3 (SanDisk) to SanDisk stripe vedv and all good. Ill get a replacement Samsung SSD for the Samsung vdev that lost its mirror.

Status
Not open for further replies.