ZFS SnapShot - Do I have a problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grantp

Contributor
Hi All,

I am running FreeNAS 9.1.1-Release with a Mirrored RaidZ2. I have the following DataSets
FreeNAS-DataSets.png
I have a Snapshot of each dataset taken every hour and kept for 2 weeks as shown below
FreeNAS-SnapShot.png
Today I received the following Security E-Mail it goes on for pages and pages but only talks about Media/Television DataSet.
FreeNAS-Mail.png
I had a quick look around not really knowing what I was looking for or at (I'm a real NOOB with FreeNAS) and found that I have been getting this msg on the system console every hour since I set up my FreeNAS box a couple of weeks ago
FreeNAS-Screen.png
When I also looked at my ZFS Snapshots noticed that their appears to be 2 Snapshots 1 minute apart for some of my datasets yet I am only running the Snapshot Task once.
FreeNAS-SShot.png
So I suppose my question is two fold is the E-Mail telling me I have a problem and if so what is it and how do I fix it, and secondly why is FreeNAS taking 2 snapshots one minute apart for DataSets Pictures, Television, Books, Downloads, Music, Documents and Films.

The Media DataSet only has 1 snapshot per hour.

Sorry for long winded post but not really sure how to put into words what I was trying to say so thought inserting relevant images would be more useful.

Am I doing my snapshots in a proper manner or is there a better way to do snapshots. Many thanks in advance for your help.

Grant

fracai

Guru
You've got snapshots configured for your root pool, as well as each dataset. I forget if there's a "recursive" checkbox for setting up a snapshot, but you should be fine with just the root snapshot which is grabbing the other datasets as well.

Grantp

Contributor
Thanks for reply, I was starting to come round to that conclusion myself, having noticed I had recursive on the root. So am I best to just have snapshot of root or get rid of root snapshot and keep the individual ones?. Have you any ideas why/what the security E-Mail I got this morning was all about. I sort of assume it was getting rid of old snapshots as I've set Keep to 2 weeks but why only show me the Television ones and some of the ones it lists in the e-mail are still on the FreeNAS system.

fracai

Guru
Personally, I'm using one recursive, root snapshot and pruning the datasets I don't care about with my zfs-rollup script.

The security message looks like what I get when I recover files from snapshots by browsing from the command line, rather than cloning a snapshot to a new dataset.

Maybe browsing from windows or some other file share was exposing the .zfs directory?

Grantp

Contributor
Once again thanks for your reply, I've read your post about the script you wrote to prune the unwanted datasets but I'm afraid it went straight over my head. Anyway I'll change to just one snapshot of recursive root as you suggested, Cheers for now Grant

Status
Not open for further replies.