ZFS receive results in system reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

kovacs

Cadet
All,
I am running FreeNAS-9.10.2-U6. I took a recursive snapshot of a data set and did a zfs send | zfs receive to an external / USB drive. When I try to do the reverse send / receive to pull the snapshot back to the main data set, the process runs for awhile, but towards the end the system reboots. I'm guessing this is due to some kind of core or corruption in the snapshot. However, there doesn't seem to be anything in /var. No cores, no log messages. I'm hoping someone can suggest
1) some way to verify the integrity of the snapshot and fix errors if any
2) some way to see the error that causes the system to reboot.

For 1) I am already running a scrub on the external disk. That has about another day to complete. For 2) I'm guessing I'm going to have to sit on the console while the copy occurs. I would just think that data would be preserved somewhere?

I searched around and saw posts about zfs corruption causing cores, but since I don't get any cores I'm not even sure that zfs / corruption of data is the main issue.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

styno

Patron
Can you (for testing purposes) remove the drive from the usb case and direct attach it to a sata port? That would eliminate the USB stack and give you access to smart & (hopefully) better scrub speeds.

kovacs

Cadet
Unfortunately the drive in question is a LaCie big4. It has esata, but my Freenas mini doesn't have an esata port. Would LOVE to hook it up over sata but would need a card for the Freenas mini. TBH I'm not even sure its possible to add an esata card to the Freenas mini without manually drilling the case.

kovacs

Cadet
Well I just noticed it has a PCI slot for a half height card. Time to investigate more.

That said, any other thoughts on the snapshot other than a scrub?

kovacs

Cadet
Well it completed the scrub without issue. Added esata plate and did the transfer fine via esata. So no idea why, but seemed to be the USB stack. It seems strange that the USB stack was fine to send the file to the external device but couldn't retrieve it. Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.