I followed this guide to enhance my TrueNAS performance:

Adding the tunable
Code:
vfs.zfs.arc.meta_min=8589934592

I noticed that ZFS cache now only uses 8 GB RAM instead of quiete all the RAM
Screenshot 2024-02-22 095809.png

Disabling the tunable and restarting the system, I get this

Screenshot 2024-02-22 094159.png

I see too much free memory and no way to have ZFS properly use the free memory for cache
Is this expected ?
Why before I am sure ZFS cache was eating near all memory ?

chuck32

Guru
Ok, after some rsync operations, the cache properly fills most free memory
Didn't check your link in detail, however if you flushed your cache during your procedure it will not fill up automatically again.

You need to actually cache things first. Pay attention to your memory after you reboot your server, ARC will fill up when you start reading / writing data which ends up beeing cached.

You need to actually cache things first.
Bingo.

One thing ZFS doesn't do (and hopefully never will do), is try to guess ahead of time what data you're going to request from the disks. Maybe in the future this whole artificial intelligence craze will infect the OpenZFS developers, and we'll have "A.I. neural network-enhanced predictive user demand" foisted upon us. :tongue:

EDIT: Keep in mind the tunable will no longer exist (and hence be irrelevant), in the next version of TrueNAS Core, which will ship with OpenZFS 2.2.2.

See this thread:

Last edited:

Phil1295

Explorer
Bingo.

One thing ZFS doesn't do (and hopefully never will do), is try to guess ahead of time what data you're going to request from the disks. Maybe in the future this whole artificial intelligence craze will infect the OpenZFS developers, and we'll have "A.I. neural network-enhanced predictive user demand" foisted upon us. :tongue:

EDIT: Keep in mind the tunable will no longer exist (and hence be irrelevant), in the next version of TrueNAS Core, which will ship with OpenZFS 2.2.2.

See this thread:
Yes, I saw it. I just hope it is as good as this tunable since it is only a priority ponderation whith unknown exact behavior as of the size of cache before it gets emptied. They removed the current tunable in current openzfs