Zero Swap Allocated

Status
Not open for further replies.

hescominsoon

Patron
For some reason the Dell 310 in my signature is showing zero swap allocated. Any ideas why this is occurring?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
The SAS controller isn't responsible for the swap.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

hescominsoon

Patron
HUH? I never said anything about SAS...i asked why has the system never allocated...not never used...but never allocated swap? I found the question quite straightforward.

Attachments

• ramusage.png
    ramusage.png
    10.7 KB · Views: 178

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
A Dell H310 is a SAS controller.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

hescominsoon

Patron
Dude. WTH are you talking about?
4 x 3.0TB 7200 RPM SATA Direct Connection to Motherboard
NO SAS here. I am curious why the system did not allocate any swap....

danb35

Hall of Famer
A Dell H310 is a SAS controller.
But a Dell R310, which is what his signature indicates (and you can't see on Tapatalk, but he explicitly referred to in the OP), is a computer.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
But a Dell R310
I suggest you look at the OP again.
Does not equal PowerEdge R310.
Especcially when Dell also makes a SAS controller with the same number and people using TapTalk can't see the junk you put in your signature.
If swap was not allocated, it is because of something you did wrong.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
But a Dell R310, which is what his signature indicates
And, a drive controller would be a more likely source of a problem with drives

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

hescominsoon

Patron
First..tapatalk limitations are not my issue...so if you cannot see my sig..next time I'll report is for those who use taptalk.
Second, I did nothing wrong. I installed the machine as per instructions in the documentation.
Third, The number in my system that you inquired about is 2.

hescominsoon

Patron
I suggest you look at the OP again.

Does not equal PowerEdge R310.
Especcially when Dell also makes a SAS controller with the same number and people using TapTalk can't see the junk you put in your signature.
If swap was not allocated, it is because of something you did wrong.
look at the signature:
Current Local Server:
Freenas Build:
FreeNAS-11.1
Dell R310, CPU Xeon L3426 , 4 x 3.0TB 7200 RPM SATA Direct Connection to Motherboard, 32 Gigs ECC Ram, 1 x 1 GB Interface(management & remote replication) 1x10G fiber Interface(Backup Data from local Primary Server), FreeNAS-11.1-U3

It is clearly delineated as a Dell R310.

garm

Wizard
Just don’t refer to the signature.. if nothing else you can change it at any time.. just post hardware.. it’s really not hard..

gpsguy

Where do you see the issue? In the graphs? [ignore this question, i just noticed your graph].

Please do a gpart show <devicename>, for example gpart show ada0 and post the results in code tags.

If you are using FreeNAS 11.3-U3 on this server and you have swap, perhaps it's bug.

For some reason the Dell 310 in my signature is showing zero swap allocated. Any ideas why this is occurring?

In the future, when asking for help, please include your hardware and software information in the body of the message. Doing so, will allow a wider audience to see and possibly respond to your messages.

The issue with the signature isn't limited to just Tapatalk users. Many active users, like myself, can't see signatures on our mobile devices. I often access the forum via Firefox on my phone.

hescominsoon

Patron
Where do you see the issue? In the graphs? [ignore this question, i just noticed your graph].

Please do a gpart show <devicename>, for example gpart show ada0 and post the results in code tags.

If you are using FreeNAS 11.3-U3 on this server and you have swap, perhaps it's bug.

In the future, when asking for help, please include your hardware and software information in the body of the message. Doing so, will allow a wider audience to see and possibly respond to your messages.

The issue with the signature isn't limited to just Tapatalk users. Many active users, like myself, can't see signatures on our mobile devices. I often access the forum via Firefox on my phone.
Understood...will do in the future.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

hescominsoon

Patron

I posted earlier a screenshot of the swap graph which has been zero since install..i never really noticed until now..it is not causing an issue..just a bit weird.

hescominsoon

Patron

hescominsoon

Patron
ok it is an issue with the gui then..i'll post a bug report:
Code:
gpart show ada0											   
=>		40  5860533088  ada0  GPT  (2.7T)									 
		 40		  88		- free -  (44K)								 
		128	 4194304	 1  freebsd-swap  (2.0G)							
	4194432  5856338688	 2  freebsd-zfs  (2.7T)							 
  5860533120		   8		- free -  (4.0K)	

danb35

Hall of Famer
ok it is an issue with the gui then.
Not necessarily. Just because the disk has a swap partition, doesn't mean the system is using it (it should be, of course, but that doesn't prove that it is). What's the output of swapinfo and free?

Stux

MVP
Contents of /etc/fstab would be useful too.

cat /etc/fstab

hescominsoon

Patron
Code:
swapinfo
Device		  1K-blocks	 Used	Avail Capacity

Free says command not found

Code:
 cat /etc/fstab
freenas-boot/grub	   /boot/grub	  zfs	 rw,noatime	  1	   0
fdescfs /dev/fd fdescfs rw	  0 0

Status