Yet another frustrated user with sharing issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iandoug

Dabbler
Hi

Following on from the breathtaking saga back in https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/replacing-dead-drive.28139/#post-182752 , I have now got around to redoing the box. Have set it up, it works, have copied files across.

Then I went and changed something, and now I can access it only in guest mode, eg via Dolphin browsing the Network.

I checked the manual. I used the wizard. I watched the Monkey video. Still no joy.

If I do this, it works:

mount.cifs //192.168.1.52/bananas /home/ian/nas2/bananas -o guest

but this fails:
mount.cifs //192.168.1.52/bananas /home/ian/nas2/bananas -o user=ian,pass=secret
mount error(5): Input/output error
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

The dataset is owned by nobody, in group Family.
User ian belongs to users and Family. Sharing is set to Windows mode, even though I'm on Linux.

I have two other FreeNAS boxes and even when I tried to replicate their (working) setups, I still can not get it to work.

I tried disallowing Guest access on Freenas, and now I get
mount.cifs //192.168.1.52/bananas /home/ian/nas2/bananas -o guest
mount error(16): Device or resource busy
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

Only other thing I can think of is that a recent KDE update somehow broke something. I copied the existing directories to the box with Dolphin, without any attempts to manually "mount" the drive.

So at this moment I need to appeal to the FreeNas gods for help..... :)

Thanks, Ian

Iandoug

Dabbler
Thanks..... well this is annoying... I rebooted the Nas box, didn't help. Rebooted this PC, didn't help.
Fiddled some more on the NAS box (trying to duplicate settings from another box). Didn't seem to help.
Opened terminal window to stare at the log files on the NAS box. it bombed out so I reloaded the page...
Checked settings again ... tried to create folder in Dolphin voila, that worked... as did creating file.

And now the mount using username and password works... I hate when that happens, as I have no idea which particular tweak got it to work. Perhaps it was
switching off the Enable under NT 4 under Directory ... I had set that because I thought it needed to ask this PC about credentials. Perhaps not.

At least I can sleep in peace tonight...;)

Cheers, Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.