Xeon E3 Capability

Status
Not open for further replies.

ere109

Contributor
I've got a friend nearly talked into building a FN machine. He's budget conscious, and I see that he could get an X11 motherboard, E3-1220, and 16gb ram for about $500. The Xeon will be server quality, but will it perform likean i3?
My friend wants to install a surveillance system at his house, and the cameras recommend an i7 or better for video compression.
Thoughts? Would the E3 be a good choice, or is there a better budget option to consider?

Thanks

dvand

Dabbler
What video management software is your friend planning to run? The i7 advice only makes sense to me if the software is hosted on the FN box...?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

ere109

Contributor
He's just getting into the game. I've been selling him on the benefits of FreeNAS, told him he could do a VM to host his video security. I had suggested he look into Blue Iris or Xeoma.
To my understanding, his basic needs are: personal file storage, Plex media server, run about 6 security cameras. The two options I see are to buy new hardware with the Xeon E3, or find older hardware - X9 or X10 motherboard with a "beefier" old Xeon. He was really worried about performance.

dvand

Dabbler
I'm sure people run blue iris in vms but I've not tried it myself.

6 cameras probably wouldn't stress out the cpu but I suspect the vm would need at least 8 gigs of ram so I'd make sure the host had more than 16.

My route was to buy a refurbished i7 to run blue iris separate from my freenas box.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.