XenServer 6.0.2 iSCSI multipathing and round robin

Status
Not open for further replies.

koskesh007

Cadet
Finally got multipathing and round robin working using the following in /etc/multipath.conf

device {
vendor "FreeBSD"
product "iSCSI Disk"
path_grouping_policy multibus
path_selector "round-robin 0"
rr_min_io 1
}

test setup is:
- Dell R610 as XenServer host
- R710 running FreeNAS 8.2 Release version
- Each box has 3 gigabit links going to an exclusive iSCSI vlan, jumbo frames enabled and jumbo packet pings work.
- Round Robin is working as I can see in XenCenter performance graphs that all nics connected to iSCSI are utilized during file transfers.
- Windows 2008 R2 VM installed on local storage of xenserver
- FreeNAS is installed on 1 disk, and the storage pool is striped over 5 7200 rpm RE4 drives (RAID0 equivalent)
- A 50GB chunk of storage attached from SR sitting on FreeNAS 8.2 release version, and formatted with NTFS in the VM.

After enabling round robin I noticed a huge performance hit on read speed in ATTO (which happens to be the only benchmark tool that maxes out iSCSI multipathing in XenServer).

I get almost 200 MB/s WRITE for transfer sizes of 1024 KB and higher, but only 30 MB/s READ. Without round robin, using one path, ATTO speeds hover around 100 MB/s read and write.

I've also experimented with changing the rr_min_io from 1 to 4 but that doesn't make much difference.

I'm baffled. This is my first experiment with ZFS and I'm not sure if tuning is needed. I did this same exact experiment with Nexentastor (also ZFS based) and iSCSI multipathing with round robin working yielded 300 MB/s read/write using ATTO.

citrixified

Cadet
Did you manage to get Xentools working? I can't seem to add more than 3 disks for this reason. On my setup the multipath.conf file does not exist.

koskesh007

Cadet
Haven't had issues with Xentools. the disk limitation maybe because of the XenServer free license but not too sure about that. multipath.conf is in /etc

koskesh007

Cadet
Just an update and bump...

I disabled jumbo frames on FreeNAS and performance changed considerably. Writes are still around 200 MB/s, but reads went up close to and sometimes surpassing 300 MB/s.

Status
Not open for further replies.