Small iSCSI build -> Seeking advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

silver565

Dabbler
Hello everyone,

Apologies if this is the wrong forum section. I'm attempting to figure out why my new build is terribly slow when using ISCSI with ESXi. I've read a lot of the posts on here, however I can see that some are out dated and refer to quite large builds.

Specs:
  • A1SAi-2750F
  • 32GB memory
  • Intel S3500 series 120GB SSD
  • 2x 3TB WD red drives(mirror)
Config notes:
  • I provisioned the SSD into a 30GB ZIL volume with the remainder used for L2ARC
  • 2x gigabit NICs are setup in round robin for connectivity to the host(two separate subnets)

When I setup ISCSI for my ESXi host, I can only get around 30 -> 50Mb/s(it's quite erratic too). I should be able to get around 80 -> 100mb/s.

My system seems to go quite hard on the memory despite only having 2x 3TB drives(I thought the 1TB -> 1GB ratio still applied). Judging by a few threads on here, should I simply be throwing memory and good ZIL/L2ARC devices at my system to get my theoretical network bottleneck speeds including sustained stability on that front?

I'd appreciate any input or advice

Attachments

• CPU.PNG
    CPU.PNG
    28.2 KB · Views: 249
  • Disks.PNG
    Disks.PNG
    52.4 KB · Views: 261
  • Freenas1.PNG
    Freenas1.PNG
    35.9 KB · Views: 213
  • Freenas2.PNG
    Freenas2.PNG
    38.4 KB · Views: 224
  • ISCSI.PNG
    ISCSI.PNG
    16 KB · Views: 213

Artion

Patron
I provisioned the SSD into a 30GB ZIL volume with the remainder used for L2ARC
This is not recomended. Search the forum for the correct configuration of ZIL and L2ARC. Practically using the same drive for both of them will limit your throughput.

Status
Not open for further replies.