X9SRH-7TF or X10SRH-CF

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALFA

Explorer
Hi guys, good morning, hope everything is going well over here,i have a doubt or well i am in a doubt and if anyone would help me to resolve it I would appreciate much.

For a ESXi server which of these cards would you select and why?, I have this idea, i looking forward to make a lab machine, and in a future a backup machine too, so i can have in the same machine a VM for Windows/Linux/Solaris, etc. for example and a FressNas in other (to store some Snapshot), It just for testing purposes.

I looking more for the X9SRH-7TF, because it has a Dual port 10GBase-T, that could be useful in the future, and a 8x SAS2 where it supported by the backplane that I have, where the X10SRH-CF has 8x SAS3 supported by the backplane too but looks like its not recommended by FreeNas because some issues, right? (correct me if I am wrong), the other aspect its that the X10SRH can support the newer CPU generation while the X9SRH can´t, the same go to the memory slots (DDR3 vs DDR4)

So guys again, which of these cards would you select and why?, based on what I comment here. Thanks for you time and read me guys.

TL;DR between a supermicro X9SRH-7TF and a X10SRH-CF which one would you select for a ESXi server, that can run some FreeNas instance to store some Snapshot, and do some experiments in other VM instances.

Edit. add the link for each mobo

http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C600/X9SRH-7TF.cfm

http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C600/X10SRH-CF.cfm

Last edited:

marbus90

Guru
X10SRL-F plus the AOC-2308L-L8E HBA for FreeNAS. If you want another HW-RAID-controller for ESXi boot/VMs I'll have to dig around more, but I believe that was called AOC-2308L-L8i then.

As for 10Gbe, you may want to look into Dual-CPU boards. Those with a basic E5-2620 v3 are often less expensive than singlesocket boards with extra 10Gbe adapters, especially if you prefer 10Gbase-T.

ALFA

Explorer
Many thanks marbus90, that was very helpful indeed, look I found this one based on your suggestion, what do you think? (and its not a crazy price on ebay)

http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C600/X10DRL-iT.cfm

antoher question, any good 16-ports HBA card suggestion? i have a chassis with 16 bays, so I would need at least 2 X 8-port HBA (AOC-2308L-L8E, that looks very nice) , or its better (for the price perspective and maybe convenience in case one of this card failed) have 2 x 8-port HBA?

plus its a good idea to buy SATADOM from supermicro? any one have any experience with those.

thanks again and kind regards.

marbus90

Guru
One of the more cost-effective boards for datacenters, but will do the needful :)

the 64GB Supermicro SATADOMs are very recommendable. You'll get around 51GiB usable with ESXi 5.5, 6 reserves 16GiB -> ~43GiB usable. More than enough for FreeNAS boot. ESXi doesn't support any kind of RAID, but I'd still get two to mirror FreeNAS boot (creating 1 VMDK on each of the SATADOM datastores).

The 16port Controllers use more energy and are less common, so I'd rather use 2x 8port HBAs.

ALFA

Explorer
you are the man marbus90, many thank for sharing your knowledge :)

kind regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.