X9DR7-TF build advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikesm

Dabbler
Folks, I am upgrading an old FreeNAS system based on an i7-920 based system to a new E5-2409 based build using the http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C600/X9DR7-TF_.cfm motherboard, which I got a great deal on, and a http://www.supermicro.com/products/chassis/4U/846/SC846E26-R1200.cfm case with built in SAS expander.

My question is really about how to optimize the storage configuration on the motherboard. I have M1015 SAS controllers from the old build that can easily be transferred into the new system, but the motherboard has a built in LSI 2208 controller with 1GB of cache, and I happen to have the BBU that goes with the motherboard.

I would normally just plug the two SAS links to the exapnder into the onboard 2208, but I saw this discussion (https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/freenas-for-vmware-view-desktops.15199/) that indicated the ideal use of the 2208 is for a very high performance slog device.

In the thread, a conventional hard drive was connected to the device, but today wouldn't make more sense to use a higher performance SSD, or is the raw capacity of the slog device what is being optimized for? What is the right way to think about what should be connected to the 2208 in this configuration in terms of tradeoffs?

The other way is to use the onboard 2208 to talk to the case expander. In this case, is there any benefit to overall performance using the 2208 instead of the M1015? If I connect the BBU in this configuration, how do I tell FreeNAS the writes are protected by the BBU?

BTW, I am also curious if there is any advantage to using two different controllers to connect to the backplane instead of being hung one just one of them, and if there would be any additional complexity with FreeNAS in that redundant configuration?

My workload is mostly media recording and playback (it's the backend of a large DVR system), video and music storage, as well as the nightly backup target for a set of home machines. No vmdk files, and I run FreeNAS native on the hardware. Everything is connected via 1 Gbps Ethernet in the home, except for a ESX server that runs a number of guest VM's (including the backup server and LTO tape library) which is a point to point 10 Gbps link to the FreeNAS server with a separate address block and hostnames.

Thanks in advance for the advice guys. FreeNAS is an incredible product, and I feel fortunate using it as the core of my home network. It's never lost a single byte of data for me, and it's the only NAS implementation I have built that I can say that about!

Thank you!
Mike

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
I would normally just plug the two SAS links to the exapnder into the onboard 2208, but I saw this discussion (https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/freenas-for-vmware-view-desktops.15199/) that indicated the ideal use of the 2208 is for a very high performance slog device.
This discussion you referenced was of a high use deployment and the hardware to support it, I don't think you need bother with a slog device
for home use. Just connect your SAS cables from the onboard controller, to the backplane, you will be perfectly happy.

mikesm

Dabbler
BigDave, thanks for the reply. While this is not a heavy use configuration, I do like to experiment with things, and since I have all the parts to build a much higher performance system anyway, why not? :)

I didn't mention this earlier, I have two primary arrays - a 4TBx10 in RAIDZ2, and a 2TBx10 in a RAIDZ2, as well as a small 2TBx6 in RAIDZ2.

Hence my question. I do occasional video editing off my workstation with the video stored on the FreeNAS server as well. Maybe once a month or so. I could actually get a 10Gbps connection to that as well if you think it would be the bottleneck in the new build.

Thanks!
Mike

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
While this is not a heavy use configuration, I do like to experiment with things, and since I have all the parts to build a much higher performance system anyway, why not?
This is a really good primer by our esteemed member @jgreco
Just do a search in the forums for the keyword SLOG for many other interesting discussions like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.