X470D4U 128GB ECC Non QVL Experiences

S1RC

Dabbler
I have a X470D4U which I want to use with a 3900X because my current setup is failing.

I want to max out at 128GB ECC however the memory QVL only lists the Samsung M391A4G43MB1-CTDQ is the only 32GB ECC module listed on the QVL. Unfortunately I can't seem to acquire any available in Canada. Has anyone been successful running non QVL 32GB ECC modules on the X470D4U?

S1RC

Dabbler
Ok, so stick to the QVL.

I'm hesitant to buy off eBay, I did find these but it's listed as M391A4G43MB1-CTD and not M391A4G43MB1-CTDQ. I looked up the product guide from Samsung and it stated that was "memory buffer" but didn't show what "Q" was for.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Ok, so stick to the QVL.
QVL just means it has been tested.

Any other good quality brand of memory, that has the same spec, should work just as well. They can't test every brand of memory.

S1RC

Dabbler
I was looking at the KSM32ED8/32ME which is on the QVL for the X570D4U, which is easily available.

banshee28

Dabbler
In a similar boat with this MB:
I am looking to max the RAM out with 128GB and will need 32GB ECC modules. I think DR vs SR would be better/faster and the highest speeds but also cant seem to find the modules at least not based on the QVL list.

It sounds like other modules with the same spec should work just have not been officially tested. What if I found a module that is slightly faster than the suggested (2933 vs 2666 MHz)? Would it still work or could I change that in the BIOS?

I am also waiting for ASRock Rack to reply to me for some suggestions on DIMM's.

S1RC

Dabbler
I went with 4x KSM32ED8/32ME, so far no issues booting. memtest86 pro is just finishing up its fourth pass, with ECC injection enabled. If all the passes complete with no errors that means ECC is working?

Good question. From the webpage:
ECC RAM support (limited hardware support, ongoing development)
  • Detection of ECC support in both the RAM and memory controller
  • Polling for ECC errors
  • Injection of ECC errors for test purposes. (limited hardware only)

More information from the edition comparison page footnotes:
3. ECC error injection is a feature that simulates ECC errors in order to test the system's error handling mechanism. The following chipsets may support this feature (depending on your BIOS configurations):^
  • AMD Bulldozer (15h)
  • AMD Steamroller (15h)
  • AMD Jaguar (16h)
  • AMD Ryzen (17h) [Note: Injection is disabled in most AMD retail CPUs. To enable, please consult the Processor Programming Reference document]
  • AMD Steppe Eagle SoC
  • AMD Merlin Falcon SoC
  • Intel Nehalem
  • Intel Lynnfield
  • Intel Westmere
  • Intel Xeon E3 family (Sandy Bridge)
  • Intel Xeon E3 v2 family (Ivy Bridge)
  • Intel Xeon E3 v3 family (Haswell)
  • Intel Xeon E3 v4 family (Broadwell)
  • Intel Xeon E3 v5 family (Skylake)
  • Intel Xeon E3 v6 family (Kaby Lake)
  • Intel Atom C2000 SoC
  • Intel Broadwell-H SoC
  • Intel Apollo Lake SoC

The following chipsets may support this feature is another question.

HTH!
Mike

S1RC

Dabbler
Good question. From the webpage:

More information from the edition comparison page footnotes:

The following chipsets may support this feature is another question.

HTH!
Mike

I guess I wasn't very clear and I'm new to using memtest86 ECC injection. With BIOS defaults ECC injection resulted in:
1610207720278.png

Then in the BIOS I set "Disable Memory Error Injection" from TRUE to FALSE and the result is:
1610207817066.png

So that looks like ECC injection is working, the output looks similar to testing injection on my E3 V5 Xeon.

MGone

Dabbler
So that looks like ECC injection is working, the output looks similar to testing injection on my E3 V5 Xeon.
Apologies for the thread reanimation...but I'm looking at the X470D4U at the moment and wondered if the Kingston memory you mention above has been a solid performer?

MGone

Dabbler
In a similar boat with this MB:
I am looking to max the RAM out with 128GB and will need 32GB ECC modules. I think DR vs SR would be better/faster and the highest speeds but also cant seem to find the modules at least not based on the QVL list.

It sounds like other modules with the same spec should work just have not been officially tested. What if I found a module that is slightly faster than the suggested (2933 vs 2666 MHz)? Would it still work or could I change that in the BIOS?

I am also waiting for ASRock Rack to reply to me for some suggestions on DIMM's.
Did you ever get a response? I've just pinged off some questions about the X470 and I'm not holding my breath!