HBA for 16x mixed SSD/HDD recommendations

SilentM

Cadet
I'm building a Proxmox VE Hypervisor and I want to run FreeNAS from it. I made a bunch of hardware purchases already but then decided to make some upgrades for future proofing and giving me the ability to grow into the hardware. I am currently looking for some suggestions/recommendations on an HBA that can support both SSDs and HDDs. I originally wanted a 16i HBA but I was only able to find 1 model which was around $160 and the reviews said that the heatsink gets insanely hot so I think I'll stay away from that. I'm now looking at 8i HBA with a SAS expander but I'm still confused with the model naming conventions and what they support. Could anyone provide some help or recommendations on what I should be looking for when using both SSD and HDD?

List of hardware already purchased:
1x Fractal Design Define R5 Case (Original build case, will be returning as I upgraded to a server chassis that gives me room to grow)
1x Supermicro CSE-836TQ 3U 16-bay Server chassis (comes with the 720w "quiet" power supplies)
1x Ryzen 9 3900x 12-core CPU
1x ASRock Rack X470D4U Server board
2x Samsung 32GB ECC RAM
2x 128GB M.2 SSD (will be used for the OS with mirroring for redundancy)
4x Crucial MX500 1TB SSD (not sure on the best config for the SSDs storage for VMs yet) (planning to get additional 2 SSDs down the line for 6x total)
6x Seagate Terascale 5900RPM 4TB HDD (6drive Raidz2) (Planning to get additional 6 HDDs down the line for 12x total)

This build is going into the dining room of 1 bedroom apartment so I went with 5900RPM HDDs to hopefully produce a bit less heat. I'll also swap out the chassis fans for silent edition fans. I'm also looking for a decent enclosed rack cabinet to put it in with room to grow. Any recommendations for cabinets? Are the noise reduction cabinets worth the considerable extra cost?

My first bit of advice would be to try to put those SSDs directly onto your SATA ports to avoid worrying about them saturating your HBA or PCIe slot.

Could anyone provide some help or recommendations on what I should be looking for when using both SSD and HDD?
If you must put the SSDs on your HBA what you want to consider is the SAS spec number and the bandwidth of the PCI slot it is using. Those SSDs report a max of ~500MB/s so you probably want to aim for at least SAS2 if not SAS3 and PCIe3.0.

Your backplane is a direct-attach backplane so if you picked up this HBA and this expander you could direct-attach to each bay. They are both SAS2 and the expander could use 8 lanes of SAS2 to connect to the HBA. That gives you a bandwidth of ~48000Mbit/s on the SAS2 lanes. If your SSDs were each doing their max of ~500MByte/s they are going to consume 16000Mbit/s of that leaving you 32000Mbit/s remaining or about 330Mbyte/s for each other bay which is totally fine for HDDs. 8 lanes of PCIe2.0 won't quite be able to handle all of that so you'll want a PCIe3.0 HBA as above.