Please comment on this setup (planned with X11SSH-CTF)

Fred4000

Cadet
Hello :smile:

I've been reading a lot in the past weeks, and I'm getting closer to a decision. Currently I'm running an outdated Synolgy NAS (which is so old it no longer gets any updates). Looking for a replacement I looked at QNAP (which after much reading feels lacking in support and often beta and unreliable), and Synology (rather slow hardware). Next look was at UNRAID, but the lack of a 2nd pool albeit long asked-for is basically a deal-breaker for anyone who wants to mix SSD and HDD.

So here I am now, and I realize that everything is a compromise. Lots of threads start with "look at the hardware recommendations", which then look rather outdated now, and the answers for the search of controllers get 2 kinds of answers: "most work" and "FreeBSD is very picky, so chose wisely". Basically, I don't think I found a *usable* hardware recommendation guide. I think some current compatibility chart would definitely be helpful. (For example, looking for a board, the recommendation boils down to one manufacturer: SuperMicro. And they have dozens of models. And browsing this forum, one finds some problems, but barely advice how to chose.)

So I kindly ask the users here for their opinion on the following setup. Please feel free to drop in any thoughts that arise.

My current plan
- Board: SuperMicro X11SSH-CTF (which includes 2x10Gbe and LSI SAS/SATA controller)
- CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230v6
- RAM: 4 x 16 GB EEC Ram (Recommendations?)
- PSU: Maybe some Seasonic 600W+ (Recommendations?)
- Disks: Small SSD for system, some SSDs vor a fast volume, a couple of HDDs (aiming for raidz2 here, so 6x seems reasonable)
- Large enough case

Originally I thought about the X11SSM-F, but as I'd put in a 10Gbe anyway (1x would be enough, though), and probably some HBA card, the X11SSH-CTF might be the appropriate one.

It surely will be more expensive than I originally intended to buy - but for longevity I am willing to suffer the initial shock.

(Will be buying parts in Germany, if this matters.)

Thank you!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
look rather outdated now
Only very slightly, and that's because Coffee Lake boards were hard to find last time I checked. The situation might have improved in the last two months, though. There's AMD, which is back in the picture, but it needs a little bit more traction among Guinea pigs more adventurous users before I can recommend them. Better motherboards would also be nice.

Aaaaaaanyway:

Your system looks pretty good. I'd consider moving up if you're going to start with your RAM maxed out. Although, now that I think about it, do you really need 64 GB? It seems like overkill, maybe buy 32 GB now and fill the other slots later if /when needed.

Fred4000

Cadet
Thanks for your feedback. It just seems that building a working FreeNAS system might be more challenging than building a hackintosh :D. Which shouldn't be the case. :)

Moving up in what way? No real reason for the 64 GB - but 32 only saves the tip of the iceberg; and maxing out on RAM is somehow a pattern on my machines. 32 would probably be plenty for what will mostly be a 1-user-setup; originally did think about running some VMs or docker containers there, too - but they might be better of on another machine as virtualization support seems on the decline.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

CobraPL

Cadet
Sorry for little necro, but my question is on topic and still important:

Is LSI from X11SSH-CTF a HBA/IT one?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It's an LSI SAS3008. It'll either come up with IT or IR firmware and you switch between them fairly easily.