X10DRU Build?

rjb123

Cadet
Chasis: 6028U-TRTP+
MB: X10DRU-i+ (Does have IPMI)
CPU: 2x E5-2678v3

Backplane: BPN-SAS3-826A

Would something like this with replacing the raid card with an HBA (suggestions?) work with FreeNAS (these are a dime a dozen it seems with cheaper options with less RAM), Seems cheaper than sourcing prices individually? I'd ideally find one with a bit less RAM for ~$1000 (I assume 64GB is plenty). Budget with drives is ~$2000-2500. I'm planning to start with 8x4TB WD REDs and then make an SSD pool when prices drop a bit.

I'm building a general NAS for streaming (plex lives on a different server so it'd be mounted), time machine backups, mounts for a few (less than 10) PXE booted devices, and NFS mounts for some containers. I have an old NAS that is at 75% capacity but plan to keep it in 'production' until I can get this new project stable. Overkill? Probably. But I'm 'future' proofing a bit here as well. And this is a project to learn more.

I have a 10Gbe backbone at home but essentially all devices that will consume the NAS will be 1Gbe and I doubt I'd even come close to needing it. But I got a steal on an open box and couldn't pass it up. Ideally a 2U or 3U chassis since my rack is getting a bit full but I could fit a 4U if needed.

Thanks!

Also, I did search for this motherboard and there didn't seem to be any build related posts since 2015.

Last edited: