WTF is wrong with this forum's search feature?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I expect the search feature to work :P

Is that too much to ask? I've been on several vBulletin forums and they've worked fine. I'm confused as to why you think that means that this is expected.

Because I'm a Usenet guy and all this newfangled Web based messaging stuff has always been a bit dicey. ;)

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Guise, I think the auto-moderation problem is solved. We changed the settings to the following:

* Users with less than 25 posts are considered "newbs"
* "Newbs" that post more than 2 links will be auto-moderated
* ONLY "newbs" will be auto-moderated from now on.

Well, I just got auto-moderated again. I think I probably have at least 26 or 27 posts under my belt and posted a single link - back to this forum, at that.

So really, I probably have better things to do with my time than continue suffering this sort of annoyance. So I'm outta here for awhile, I think.

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
Well, I just got auto-moderated again. I think I probably have at least 26 or 27 posts under my belt and posted a single link - back to this forum, at that.

So really, I probably have better things to do with my time than continue suffering this sort of annoyance. So I'm outta here for awhile, I think.

I have never been moderated within my 1.2k posts.

So, I really think there is a setting that moderate posts which has a lot of words, as I know you're one kind of people that likes to talk a LOT, using many words to say something simple, I'll go ahead and give the tip to admins to look at some antispam configuration related to the size of the post and disable that ;)

Stephens

Patron
I'll go ahead and give the tip to admins to look at some antispam configuration related to the size of the post and disable that ;)

At least for Senior Members.

As for jgreco's posts, they're pretty much excellent.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I was moderated once for writing 1 sentence and including a link to another thread on the forum.

dbanck

Explorer
Just posted a reply with a link to noobsauce (cyberjocks) ZFS guide a few hours ago.

I think, you shouldn't moderate posts with internal forum links.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, I just provided a link to another forum post and I was moderated. So I'm officially on vacation until further notice...Not sure if I'll update my guide when 8.3.1 comes out if the forum isn't straightened out. I know the guide is very useful for newbies but I'm just tired of being moderated for 2 sentences and a link.

ProtoSD

MVP
In support of my fellow supporting contributors and moderators, I'm taking leave of the forums too and considering just dumping FreeNAS unless I see something compelling that convinces me otherwise.

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
Well, I feel like I should say something. I would like to remind you guys that FreeNAS is a community.

If something does not looks alright it is our job to say it and fix it. Yes, I understand that you are all "wasting" time here and it is frustrating when something does not meet our expectations, here in the forum and in the software as well.

I know most of you guys and I can say you have been extremely helpful and I am (not just me but everyone involved) very grateful. I also know that you guys reported a lot of bugs, feature requests and sometimes it feels like they are in vain but I assure you, they were not. Unfortunately the development team is small and we can't do it all in a short period of time, but if we look back a little bit I think we can see how much things have improved so far, we are moving forward :)

It is also extremely important to keep reporting problems, but it is even more important to report them in the proper channels to the right people otherwise it will just go unheard and get more frustrated.

So, back to the forum question, if anyone is willing to I am sure I can pull some strings and promote admin status if you feel it you help anything.

If anyone got any ideas for improvements in any way or constructive criticism, we are all ears.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
William,

I appreciate your kind words and I agree.

My problem is that there's just too many things broken with the forum. It gets pretty frustrating when you type out a long explanation(or even a short one) and your thread has a chance of being moderated that is about as high as losing at the poker table. I really have no idea what the trigger is for moderation but its been getting worse and worse. Waiting for posts to be moderated, waiting for 120 seconds between posts, waiting for the forum to be fixed.

I just assume fix the problems I find and identify, open tickets as appropriate but kind of stick to myself until the forum is fixed. I'm glad the search is fixed and if I weren't a regular poster but being moderated I could understand. But when you get to 100+ posts you shouldn't find yourself being moderated at all by any automated system. If my account were to be hijacked or I started using bad language I would expect to be moderated by the admins themselves. I wouldn't expect jgreco, protoSD, paleoN, or the other regular posters to just start linking to adult content so why even waste time moderating them. Even in another thread I started a few days ago paleoN said "Let's see if this post is moderated or not?" so the issue is pretty widespread. Someone really needs to be held accountable for finding and fixing this auto-moderation problem. I've mentioned this in emails to James. I'm not sure how hard or easy it is to fix, but someone needs to be given the task of fixing the forums, and soon. All of the senior guys are getting fed up.

James told me that I should have moderator rights now(I think they are a little messed up.. I don't think I'm actually a moderator based on what protoSD said via Teamviewer) but nonetheless I'm actually still being moderated. Is the auto-moderation system really so screwed up as to moderate a moderator? If I can approve my own posts in the moderation system doesn't that defeat the purpose? ;)

The only person I know of that has said they have any experience with vBulletin is Holykiller. He's relatively new but maybe he can help. The only reason I'm even making this post is because I got an email that a subscribed thread had a response. I'm not going to be answering much in new threads for now. Need to give the forum admins a chance to fix the forum and hopefully the community won't fall apart before these issues are fixed.

HolyK

Ninja Turtle
Yea, i talked with james and we fixed that broken search engine and also we have done few modifications and small fixes.
About the auto-moderation *thing* i am afraid i can not help since it is not native function of vBulletin, so it is handled by some 3rd party/custom mod which i don't know and i don't have access to admin panel to take a look.
That 120s limit between posts is tooooo big, it should be lowered for sure.

If there is need to have something like "junior/senior/whatever" member to prevent some kind of spam, it can be handled automatically by system via automatic promotion based on registration date (how long the user is on forum), number of posts, reputation (not enabled here as i can see) ... or combination of this things. New user marked as "newbie" should have strict policy, but only for a short time/low post count (like 3 days / 3 posts ... etc) . Then it should be moved to "Junior" member with less conditions and after some days/posts (like 30 days / 50 posts for example) he could be promoted to "Normal user" which should not have any restrictions.

Just my 5 cents :]

J

James

We just turned off auto-moderation completely. Before, we had it set to only auto-moderate "newbies" who have posted less than 25 times AND included more than 2 links. Of course, that didn't turn out to work as expected. Ben just turned off Akismet. Let's cross our fingers.

Status
Not open for further replies.