Write endurance rating for TrueNAS Mini Write/Read Cache SSDs?

jsnas

Dabbler
Does anyone know what the SSD write endurance rating is (TBW/PBW) for the following?

1) TrueNAS Mini 480GB Write Cache SSD (ie. bundle option for TrueNAS Mini’s)?

2) TrueNAS mini 480GB Read Cache SSD (ie. bundle option for TrueNAS Mini’s)?

I looked in all the spec sheets and searched in the forums, but can’t find any mention of it.

Also, a 3rd question:

3) Is there a recommended way in TrueNAS (GUI or CLI) to check the current write consumption of an SSD? ie. how much of the TBW have I already burned?

Thanks.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Extremely late reply here, but this thread came up as a "related" in one of the other ones I was answering, so:

Given the date your question was asked and your concern with checking existing life, I'll presume it's a Micron 5200 PRO. You can verify this by using camcontrol devlist at a shell/SSH.

And once you're in the shell, you can run smartctl -a /dev/ada6 (I believe ada6 is the SLOG device by default - but check your system specifically) and parse through the output to find a line that indicates something akin to "SSD Wear" "Program/Erase Cycles" or "Total Bytes/LBAs Written" - you can use that to derive the information you desire.

The SLOG/"Write Cache" devices are also heavily overprovisioned - they're 480GB disks, but only 16GB is presented to ZFS, so this significantly increases their endurance. Trust the "wear gauge" on the SSD over the "total TBW" on paper.