Wow! Have things ever changed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

thenrie

Cadet
I built my first NAS, using FreeNAS back in 2007. I think it was version .5 something. I ended up with .7.2 (Sabana) and still have it running today: 1.5tb, using 500gb WD drives, and an old Pentium 4 2.8 ghz processor on an old server motherboard. It was pretty cool at the time. Works like a charm, although I haven't been using it for anything other than storing backups and a handful of photos and a little music.

What I wanted, but never got to, was a media server, where I could store all my movies and music in digital format and stream them from it to the computers in my home, as well as to my home theater. I just got wrapped up in other things and never got it fully configured. Here I am 6 years later and have decided to complete the project.

So, today I googled freenas to see if I could find the forum again. Boy, have things changed. It looks like I'll be building a new NAS and converting to the new FreeNAS. From what I see so far, I think it will be just what I need. Time for some more fun.

Tony Henrie
Stafford, VA

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Things sure have changed. .7 was renamed NAS4Free and the current FreeNAS is a complete rewrite by different developers.

The manual should give you a good education on how to use the new FreeNAS.

Welcome to the forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.