Would like to harmonize Plex and Transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.

Callipygous

Cadet
So I have the Plex and Transmission plugins installed on the same mount but on different volumes. The issue I have is that once I download something with Transmission, I have to move it to the Plex volume using a computer on the network, which is a very slow process, on top of the download time. I assume this is because the computer I'm using is acting as a buffer and the data must first be copied from the volume 1 on NAS to my computer, then back to the NAS on volume 2? I would like to use the Transmission plugin to download files directly into the Plex volume where media is stored, or be able to quickly transfer files from one volume to another within the same mount.

ThomasDK81

Dabbler
Try and look into the:
  • script-torrent-done-enabled: Boolean (default = false) Run a script at torrent completion.
  • script-torrent-done-filename: String (default = "") Path to script.
With this setting in the Transmission config, you can make a script, that copies you files when the download is complete.
They and Google it, if you still have questions after that I'll gladly help.

nonbot

Cadet
sorry to resurrect this old thread but I have tried googling and looking around for the same thing as what OP wants to no avail. Not to beat on a dead horse, but I want to use Transmission to download directly into the Plex volume. I do not need it to be organized in any way. Currently Transmission downloads into a folder and I have to manually move it into the Plex volume via another computer.

I found a thread with a similar problem over here but different solution here (https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/share-dataset-between-two-jails.16591/) :

Why don't you try this:
  • Create a media group with the same group ID in FreeNAS and in every jail (in FreeNAS use the GUI, in the jails run pw groupadd media -g <id>).
  • Change group of /mnt/volume1/media to media, permissions 770.
  • Add the plex, transmission and www users to the media group (run pw usermod <user> -G media in the respective jail).

Either solution would work for me. However I have trouble understanding exactly how to change the group ID in FreeNAS for each jail as well as the volume's group in steps 1 and 2. Also where and how do I run the pwgroupadd media -g <id>?

If I were to go the script route as suggested above, I am complete newb at script writing (and at FreeNAS for that matter).

An simple explanation to either of these solutions would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.