SOLVED Working USB install, fails to "mountroot" when inserting M.2 SSD (SOLVED)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimmen80

Cadet
Hello,
I got a annoying problem. I had a working FreeNAS running, but when I installed it, I installed it on an M.2 SSD. I was planning to use this as my jail storage.
So now I decided to install it on a USB stick and it did not go as planned. The install went fine but when booting it it seems like it want to load the "pool" data from the old install on M.2 SSD. And of course that fails.
So I took out the M.2 SSD (this involves taking the whole server to pieces as the M.2 card is on the back of motherboard) then restarted FreeNAS, and it went perfect. Imported the old config and all looked good. Did few restarts to make sure, and no problems.
Then I inserted the M.2 SSD again, and it goes back to failing. (The M.2 is taken away as bootable drive in bios completely).

The M.2 SSD is ada0
The USB is da0

It goes to the "mountroot>" but when I try to insert some of the options there I get different fail messages.

zfs:/dev/da0p1
trying to mount root from zfs:/dev/da0p1 ....
Solaris: NOTICE: Cannot find the pool label for ´´
Mounting from zfs:/dev/da0p1 failed with error 5.

I tried many different options here. I get error 19, 22, 2

Help please,

System is:
Asus H170I-Plus D3
Core i3-6300T
16GB Corsair PC3 12800
Adata Ultimate SU800 128Gb M.2
WD500Gb storage
HSGT 6Gb Storage

Last edited by a moderator:

kimmen80

Cadet
Tried again to install for the probably 10'th time, same problem.
It fails to mount root.
Code:
 Tying to mount root from zfs:freenas-boot/ROOT/default
Mounting from zfs:freenas-boot/ROOT/default failed with error 2. 

Loader variables:
	 vfs.root.mountfrom=zfs:freenas-boot/ROOT/default 

kimmen80

Cadet
Solved,
Destroyed the M.2 SSD partition, after some doubt.. and it worked. The USB install booted correctly.

Adrian

Contributor
Thanks. Removing the failing SATA-DOM (it gave thousands of errors in its weekly scrub and the boot pool showed as degraded) allowed my FreeNAS Mini to boot from a freshly installed pair of USBs. Restored from a recent config backup, most seems OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.