Working on my first build, sanity check please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dartleader

Cadet
Hi there, I'm working on building a brand new FreeNAS in anticipation for FN10's release, and would like some of you more experienced builders/members to critique my parts list:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/dartleader/saved/p8kqsY

I've read the recommended parts list twice and have decided to cobble the following together:

Intel i3-4170 3.7GHz Dual Core
Supermicro X10SLL-F mATX LGA1150
Crucial DDR3-1600 8GB x 2
Rosewill 500W 80+ Gold ATX PSU
DIYPC DIY-N8-BK Micro ATX Mini Tower Case

With all the above, I have a couple 2TB WD Red Drives I was planning to use.

The setup would basically be working as a seedbox/minecraft server/primary backup and a lightweight media centre (maybe streaming video to two clients at a time, max).

Does anyone have any input?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
That small of a case is going to be a pain when you figure out that 2 drives is not enough storage. Even two drives striped will not be much and then highly at risk for data loss. 2 or 4TB may sound like a lot but I have 3TB in movies alone and nearly that in TV show episodes. And no matter what you have minimal redundancy so you may want to spring for something that can hold at least five drives and more would be better. If you want to reuse your 2TB drives that is fine but grab 4 or 5 more and toss them into a raidZ2.

Stux

MVP
A pair of drives mirrored is fine. Simply add another mirror later... but you may want to plan for something with at least 4-6 bays.

That would allow you to add a couple of more mirrors down the road, or to go to 5/6 way RaidZ2.

Alternaitvely, if you do stick with 2 bays, you could upgrade from 2 2TB drives to say 2 6TB drives... if you run out of space.

Additionally, I'd suggest a single 16GB DIMM instead of 2x8GB, cost wise it should be similar. Leaves you room for memory expansion capability if you end up loving VMs and dockers and all of that jazz that FN10 brings to the table.

demon

Contributor
Additionally, I'd suggest a single 16GB DIMM instead of 2x8GB, cost wise it should be similar. Leaves you room for memory expansion capability if you end up loving VMs and dockers and all of that jazz that FN10 brings to the table.

Won't work on a Haswell-generation system like that. That board doesn't do registered DIMMs, so 8 GB is as big as he could go. It'd take another pair of DIMMs later on though.

Stux

MVP
Thanks. Thought we were looking at skylake.

Why are we still looking at haswell?

Status
Not open for further replies.