Windows SMB share unavailable after random crash (plugged a new hard drive in)

burnthelies

Dabbler
Hi guys and gals,

I went to upgrade my FreeNAS system a few months ago, and mistakenly thought i could replace a drive at a time while benefiting from the increased capacity. That issue aside, i've been running 3 x 6tb WD Red drives and 1 x 10tb WD Red drive after replacing one of the 6tb drives and resilvering.

Everything has been running perfectly, no problems at all (Xeon E3-1220v5 3ghz processor, 2 x 16gb ECC RAM, Gigabyte motherboard to suit)

Until now..

I finally got around to buying 3 x 10tb WD Red drives to add to the one i already bought and installed. I shutdown the system from the web interface, installed 1 new drive into an empty slot and turned the system back on. I was expecting to following the same instructions i did before (https://www.ixsystems.com/documentation/freenas/11.2/storage.html#replacing-disks-to-grow-a-pool) but after considerable waiting the web interface was inaccessible.

I eventually pulled out an old monitor and keyboard and plugged it in so i could see what was happening and i saw some errors i hadn't seen before regarding not being able to mount my vdev anymore or something to that effect. After rebooting the system and seeing no change i shutdown again, disconnected the new drive so i just had the original 3 x 6tb and 1 x 10tb and turned it on again.

This time the web interface became available again (after i watched the actual FreeNAS terminal while it loaded) but it had not mounted my zpool. I could see the freenas-boot but no mention of my actual zpool.

After a lot of reading of other people's issues and trawling through the documentation i eventually got the zpool imported using 'zpool import -F -f -n burnstore' from the shell in the web interface.

After what i deemed to be a successful importation, there appeared to be a lot of data errors as for the next couple of hours it worked its way through and automatically resilvered the drives.

I then ran a scrub on advice from additional reading.

I apologise if i'm getting any of this around the wrong way or explaining it incorrectly but this is all very new to me.

By the end of all this i appeared to have a working FreeNAS system again with a raidz1 called 'burnstore' and a Windows SMB share called 'burnwin'. The system shows up on my router, i can access the web admin, status of the zpool is online, SMB appears to still be correctly configured etc. but i cannot access it from the majority of devices in the house.

On WIndows 10 computers and Android tv boxes i can't access it, but from my Android phone i can (using ES File Explorer on Samsung Galaxy S7)

So my first question, is does anybody have any suggestions for what could be going on here? Like i said, everything worked until it didn't.

My 2nd question is what did i do wrong to have such an enormous issue?

I've had the risks of raidz1 explained to me last time i inquired on here and how it is risky etc., especially with 10tb hard drives, but surely the act of plugging in a 10tb hard drive as an additional drive on an existing FreeNAS system couldn't cause the problems i've encountered?

So what i'm now trying to do is get back to having an accessible system to make sure all the data is there, and then i'm going to try and upgrade the system 1 drive at a time, unless anybody has a safer idea as to how to do it - i'd really prefer not to go through this again.

Contents of zpool status below, one thing i have noticed is that the 4th drive no longer has a gptid associated with it?

I've also pulled the debug info and have attached it.

Code:
[root@freenas ~]# zpool status                                                                                                     
  pool: burnstore                                                                                                                   
 state: ONLINE                                                                                                                     
  scan: resilvered 22.0M in 0 days 00:00:21 with 0 errors on Tue Apr 16 05:11:29 2019                                               
config:                                                                                                                             

NAME                                            STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM                                                 
        burnstore                                       ONLINE       0     0     0                                                 
          raidz1-0                                      ONLINE       0     0     0                                                 
            gptid/51868abd-40d8-11e6-8547-408d5cd6231f  ONLINE       0     0     0                                                 
            gptid/52268263-40d8-11e6-8547-408d5cd6231f  ONLINE       0     0     0                                                 
            gptid/52cdaa8e-40d8-11e6-8547-408d5cd6231f  ONLINE       0     0     0                                                 
            ada3p2                                      ONLINE       0     0     0                                                 

errors: No known data errors                                                                                                       

pool: freenas-boot                                                                                                               
 state: ONLINE                                                                                                                     
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0 days 00:00:26 with 0 errors on Wed Apr 17 03:45:26 2019                                               
config:                                                                                                                             

NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM                                                                                     
        freenas-boot  ONLINE       0     0     0                                                                                   
          da0p2     ONLINE       0     0     0                                                                                     

errors: No known data errors                                                                                                       
[root@freenas ~]#                

Attachments

• debug-freenas-20190416194224.tgz
    645.4 KB · Views: 219

burnthelies

Dabbler
Yes and no..

I ended up in a constant resilver loop, but of its own free will the system randomly showed up as accessible from Windows after a couple of days.

I ended up copying all the data off onto 2 of the 10tb drives i was getting ready to upgrade.

Once i had rescued all the data i shutdown the NAS, removed 3 of the 6tb drives, installed and formatted in Windows and copied all the data from the 2 x 10tb to the 3 x 6tb (courtesy of having 6 x SATA connectors on my desktop).

I've literally just in the past 5 mins finally finished all the moving of data some 10 days later.

I'm now going to rebuild the FreeNAS system with the 4 x 10tb drives before copying all the data back to FreeNAS.

It will be another week before i'm back to a working system with all my data on it, but at least i now understand a lot more than i did when i first set this thing up. I was also able to, as far as i can tell, rescue all of my data without loss - or at least all the important stuff i've looked at/for is still intact.

I'll close this as solved, but technically i never did work out what went wrong or how to fix it.