Windows SMB not working on 1 of my PCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

pete.magnusson

Dabbler
Hi,

This is to me a odd one.

I am running two FreeNAS servers on almost the same HW.
One is setup as my "test" machine, where i create stuff and do stuff before i put it in production on the other machine.

All the settings are the same ( or at least what i can see, but i guess thy arent ).

As the "test" machine is working fine over windows smb, i can find it from my PC. But for my "production" machine, i dont get smb to work from this one PC.

Both are working by alternate computers but not from my main PC.

Anyone got any advice where to start troubleshooting this?

To my knowledge i have looked at all settings related to smb and network and mirrored all i can do.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Both are working by alternate computers but not from my main PC.

Anyone got any advice where to start troubleshooting this?
If the main PC is windows 10, just reboot that machine!
This often fixes what you describe for me in most cases.
I've heard it said that the Net Bios in Windoze is broken.

pete.magnusson

Dabbler
If the main PC is windows 10, just reboot that machine!
This often fixes what you describe for me in most cases.
I've heard it said that the Net Bios in Windoze is broken.

Thanks Dave,
Yes it is Win10.
And reboot dosent do it unfortunately. The other server works great from the same PC.
OK, not looked at netbios, will check.
Cheers

pete.magnusson

Dabbler
Can you access the production machine by IP address (in Windows File Explorer type "\\<IP of server>"?
Sorry anodos,
I should have said that is how i am trying to access my different servers.
But this one ( one of the two ) isnt showing up.
Like SMB isnt working.

Sjöhaga

Dabbler
can you ping it?

Its too early to blame smb, we need to know if it is reachable at all from your pc first.

If you can access it from another pc then smb on the freenas boxes works. (btw - are the other working computers also win10 ?).

If other computers can access the freenas box then it is likely ok and the issue is at your main win10 pc.

pete.magnusson

Dabbler
can you ping it?

Its too early to blame smb, we need to know if it is reachable at all from your pc first.

If you can access it from another pc then smb on the freenas boxes works. (btw - are the other working computers also win10 ?).

If other computers can access the freenas box then it is likely ok and the issue is at your main win10 pc.

Hi @Sjöhaga

Yes pinging works.

OK, yes sure i was more of the mindset that there is a issue with SMB between the machine and this one PC. It workes from all other PCs.

Yes, i am thinking it might be something with this PC i am using, but it works from the same PC to the other FreeNAS server. Yes 3 Windows 10 PCs.

Yes, my thinking as well, the other FreeNAS that is suppose to be a clone of the primary works, that is what throws me off.

Sjöhaga

Dabbler
Great, we have progress :)

Ping from win to freenas works - so we know the basic network is ok :)
Other computers can access the samba share so we know samba is up and running on the freenas box :)
You can access other samba shares, so your win box should have cifs installed and working.

You have not stated if you can connect to the web interface of the freenas box from your win machine but since you haven't said that it doesn't work I am going to assume it does.

I can agree its a bit odd :)

Are you familiar with the net dos commands?
what result do you get if you type "net view" or "net view freenas-servername" in a windows shell?

pete.magnusson

Dabbler
Great, we have progress :)

Ping from win to freenas works - so we know the basic network is ok :)
Other computers can access the samba share so we know samba is up and running on the freenas box :)
You can access other samba shares, so your win box should have cifs installed and working.

You have not stated if you can connect to the web interface of the freenas box from your win machine but since you haven't said that it doesn't work I am going to assume it does.

I can agree its a bit odd :)

Are you familiar with the net dos commands?
what result do you get if you type "net view" or "net view freenas-servername" in a windows shell?

I agree : )

Yes, but net view is disabled by the company.
I think i understand where you are going with this, it is pressenting a name on the other PCs.
And the "test" server is working, so it is the "primary" one that just istn. ( this is a bit of a head scratcher for me : )

Sjöhaga

Dabbler
oh, corporate environment. That can be a whole other kind of crazy :)

OK, so no access to the dos box on the pc then I guess, does that mean no powershell either (i have noticed that they sometimes forget about that one :P) ?
What you should have access to is the windows credential manager, it is always worth a try to delete everything in there related to the freenas box you cant access

btw - Does this mean you are using another means of authenticating than local user on your freenas box?

Do you have access to check if the cifs client is installed on your win pc ( start > turn windows features on or off)?

If your computer is locked down so you can't access the shell it might be more useful to get help from you it support (unless ofc u are the it support, then at least try and enjoy the great warm weather we're having :) )

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Can you access the production machine by IP address (in Windows File Explorer type "\\<IP of server>"?
And what's crazy about this is if you connect via IP and then immediately change to \\freenas without closing the explorer window it will connect via hostname. Close the explorer window and then try hostname again and no dice.

Windows is weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.