Windows 11/SMB Problems

qwerty3656

Dabbler
I installed Truenas and created SMB shares and was able to connect all 4 of my computers running Windows 10. I updated 2 computers to Windows 11 and they were still able to connect for some time, but now are unable to connect (my 2 windows 10 machines are able to connect).

It appears to be adding the Domain of my windows computers to the login (if my domain is DM, and my username is bob it is showing the usernames as DM\bob. I've tried multiple variants like truenas\bob, .\bob, \bob, \truenas\bob. When I try to connect it says invalid username or password.

I have tried multiple variations and have uninstalled/reinstalled Truenas twice (tried both Truenas Core and Truenas Scale). I have tried following several different methodologies from youtube tutorials (using both ACL and CHMOD).

Redcoat

MVP
Please describe what specific action you are attempting when this issue occurs _ I can't get it from your post.

Win11 access is fine for me (exactly the same as it was for W10).

Last edited:

qwerty3656

Dabbler
I open file manager and enter the IP address of my Truenas server into the address bar (or click on network and try to open Truenas). It pops up with a login option. I choose "More Choices" and "Use a different account" enter my username and password and get "The username or password is incorrect".

The only thing I can think of is when I switched to Windows 11 it converted my account to one with the domain set to my work domain (I used to use a local login). So my Windows computer's domain is [as example] gm.generalmotors.com and the basic username that pops up is gm\bob.

qwerty3656

Dabbler
More info - I tried to change the truenas domain to gm.generalmotors.com - same problem. I also created another local user on my windows computer - same problem

Redcoat

MVP
Hmmm. You are entering a valid user name and password for a user that exists in TrueNAS and has permission for the Share(s)?

Also, I suppose that you could check your Windows Credentials under User Accounts in case there's some goofy entry there against your NAS that's giving you grief. I just checked mine and W11's install didn't appear to have interfered with it.

Last edited:

qwerty3656

Dabbler
I've followed a couple guides for creating shares and am pretty sure I've provided the right permissions. I've even tried to give @Everyone full control of the share. The only odd thing I've pointed out is the basic username seems to be resolving to gm\bob rather than just bob. I've deleted any truenas credentials in windows users

Redcoat

MVP
The only odd thing I've pointed out is the basic username seems to be resolving to gm\bob rather than just bob
Do you mean that after you select "More Choices" and "Use a different account" that you cannot get W11 to pass an entry of "bob" as a user name to TrueNAS?

Redcoat

MVP
Have you tried creating a FreeNAS user with the same username and password as your W11 user account (where I assume that you don't use an FQDN)?

My w11 laptop is personal and has only my account on it, no domain ever explicitly joined, no AD, etc., so not a parallel to yours, I gather.

I see you tried truenas\bob - did you try that by adding the domain truenas under System Properties or just by direct entry?

I had planned to take my laptop into an Enterprise environment and join its domain in the coming week to test W11, but I may now change my mind on that...

Last edited:

qwerty3656

Dabbler
Do you mean that after you select "More Choices" and "Use a different account" that you cannot get W11 to pass an entry of "bob" as a user name to TrueNAS?
Correct - when I select more choices it still shows the domain as gm\, and I believe it is passing gm\bob. I can change the domain (e.g. localhost\bob, or .\bob, or truenas\bob) but I don't know how to not have any domain before my user name. Also, I'm just speculating this is the problem, I'm not smart enough to know for sure.

To your second question, I have created a user that is the same as my windows login - it still brings me to the login screen, which I cannot get past

Vertigo 7

Explorer
Not having any issues with W11 accessing shares with the current dev release. But I'm also using Windows domain controllers to manage users for my NAS shares.

The only changes to SMB MS has made is related to a new compression type between W11 and Server 2022:

SMB compression behavior change

We first introduced SMB compression in Windows Server 2022 & Windows 11. SMB compression allows an administrator, user, or application to request compression of files as they transfer over the network. This removes the need to first deflate a file manually with an application, copy it, then inflate on the destination PC. Compressed files will consume less network bandwidth and take less time to transfer, at the cost of slightly increased CPU usage during transfers.

Based on testing and analysis, we have changed the default behavior of compression. Previously, the SMB compression decision algorithm would attempt to compress the first 524,288,000 bytes (500MiB) of a file during transfer and track that at least 104,857,600 bytes (100MiB) compressed within that 500-MB range. If fewer than 100 MiB were compressible, SMB compression stopped trying to compress the rest of the file. If at least 100 MiB compressed, SMB compression attempted to compress the rest of the file. This meant that very large files with compressible data – for instance, a multi-gigabyte virtual machine disk – were likely to compress but a relatively small file – even a very compressible one – would not compress.

Starting in Build 22449, we will no longer use this decision algorithm by default. Instead, if compression is requested, we will always attempt to compress. If you wish to modify this new behavior to return to a decision algorithm, please see this article: Understanding and controlling compression behaviors.

You're always going to have a domain name in the login, whether you type one in or not, when accessing a network share. Windows has to know what to authenticate it against (be it a local host or a remote host/domain), so that's not your issue unless you're typing in the wrong host or domain name. Default behavior is to use the local host (your computer) if using a local account, or an AD domain if domain joined and logged in with a domain account. If the user account is managed by your TrueNAS server and the name of the server is truenas, then truenas\<username> is what you would want to use.

You can test by creating another user and make sure it has rights to whatever shares you're trying to access and use that account's creds.

Failing that, check the usual suspects as well. Type the username and pw into notepad. Make sure you don't have capslock turned on or there's a key not responding, small stuff like that often overlooked. If all appears right, try copy/pasting from notepad into the authentication prompt and see if that makes a difference.

qwerty3656

Dabbler
The reason I've focused on the domain is my windows 10 computers don't show a domain and none of the video tutorials require a domain. I've tried truenas\bob (and other variations) several times. I just tried your notepad idea and that did not work.

I'm not sure what you mean about creating another user. I've created a half dozen users including with the same login as my windows account. My user owns the share and has full access. I've created a group and given it full access. I've even given @Everyone full access. I've also created another windows user as a local account.

qwerty3656

Dabbler
here is pool
1630951075084.png

Here is share
1630951176386.png

Vertigo 7

Explorer
That looks sufficient to provide access. Though I'm not sure I know what that 'D' icon is on the 'everyone' line. Likely doesn't have an impact though.

next thing to check is on your windows device, are you accessing the network shares through a mapped drive or are you typing in the UNC path every time?

A couple of things you can check, in the classic control panel -> user accounts -> credential manager, select "Windows credentials" and in the "windows credentials" sub list, look for any entries that match your TrueNAS server. Could be either by ip address, by host name, and/or by fqdn of your server. If you find any, delete them. Those entries are created when you click 'remember me' or however that's phrased when providing credentials for a network share so they'll be recreated when you regain access and save creds again.

Do you also have the ability to set up a network share on a different windows device? Just wanna see that you can access a share at all.

qwerty3656

Dabbler
When i'm logged into my password manager the "D" randomly pops up on fields where I can enter data (its just a "hey do you want me to save this field")

At one time I had a mapped drive, but now I am just either typing IP or opening up Network on the side bar

I've deleted all my credentials.

I have another windows computer - I will have to google how to setup a share on windows

qwerty3656

Dabbler
One thing I haven't mentioned, back when I was able to access the shares, they used to appear under Truenas on the sidebar of file manager. Meaning under Network>Truenas, I could open the > next to Truenas and the shares would be there even before I logged into Truenas. Now the log in screen pops up when I click on the > so I cannot see the shares listed in the sidebar (and it takes a good 20 or 30 seconds of "searching" before the login pops up).

Vertigo 7

Explorer
What are you using for DNS on your network? You mentioned a domain in one of your previous posts. Is your Windows 11 device joined to a domain?

qwerty3656

Dabbler
Yes - when I upgraded to windows 11, it set my domain as the domain of my company (I work from home from this laptop). I used to just use a local login. I gave the example above for my domain as gm.generalmotors.com (its actually a different company, but this format). The truenas sever's domain is just truenas (or maybe just "local" that is what it say on the dashboard).

I have another windows 11 computer with just a local domain and was finally able to get that to connect to truenas (so I really think this domain thing is the issue).

I also created a share on that computer (I said share with everyone and I turned off password requirement) and I cannot connect to it with my work laptop. The other windows 11 computer shows up in explorer under Network, but when I click on it it says "You do not have permission to access \\DESKTOP-xxxx. Contact your network administrator to request access"

qwerty3656

Dabbler
Also you said DNS - I just have a modem giving out IP addresses - I made Truenas static