Windows 10: Error: The object was not found. Server name: FREENAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Holtz

Contributor
This issue has been perplexing me for quite a while, and over several releases of FreeNAS and Windoiws 10. I am currently my configuration as follows:
  • Network is configured with a gateway address of 192.168.0.1, DHCP range of 192.168.0.2-192.168.0.149, and DNS of 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 (previously configured for 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4)
  • FreeNAS-11.1-U4 - SMB share is configured as vaultron, server has fixed IP address of 192.168.0.150 for NAS, 192.168.0.151 for Transmission, 192.168.0.152 for Plex
  • Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17134.48] - SMB v1 is disabled as recommended.
  • I have checked against two other computers,
Symptoms that I am facing: I am unable to see my FreeNAS server from Network in File Explorer.

Troubleshooting performed:
  • QFrom File Explorer, I am able to access my Network share using \\vaultron and \\192.168.0.150
  • From command line, I am able to ping vaultron (resolves to 192.168.0.150) and 192.168.0.150
  • When I bring up File Explorer → Network, I am not able to see Vaultron. Because I had previously browsed to it, it is available on the left hand side.
    Network 2018-05-13 23-26-50.png
  • Checked Control Panel → System → Advanced System Settings → Computer Name, workgroup is configured as WORKGROUP
    System_Properties 2018-05-13 23-09-36.png
  • Checked Services → SMB , everything appears to match up.
    SMB.png
  • Checked /usr/local/etc/smb4.conf, and I see the following:
    Code:
    [global]
    	encrypt passwords = yes
    	dns proxy = no
    	strict locking = no
    	oplocks = yes
    	deadtime = 15
    	max log size = 51200
    	max open files = 1879976
    	logging = file
    	load printers = no
    	printing = bsd
    	printcap name = /dev/null
    	disable spoolss = yes
    	getwd cache = yes
    	guest account = nobody
    	map to guest = Bad User
    	obey pam restrictions = yes
    	ntlm auth = no
    	directory name cache size = 0
    	kernel change notify = no
    	panic action = /usr/local/libexec/samba/samba-backtrace
    	nsupdate command = /usr/local/bin/samba-nsupdate -g
    	server string = FreeNAS Server
    	ea support = yes
    	store dos attributes = yes
    	lm announce = yes
    	hostname lookups = yes
    	time server = yes
    	acl allow execute always = true
    	dos filemode = yes
    	multicast dns register = yes
    	domain logons = no
    	local master = yes
    	idmap config *: backend = tdb
    	idmap config *: range = 90000001-100000000
    	server role = standalone
    	netbios name = VAULTRON
    	workgroup = WORKGROUP
    	security = user
    	create mask = 0666
    	directory mask = 0777
    	client ntlmv2 auth = yes
    	dos charset = CP437
    	unix charset = UTF-8
    	log level = 1

Now, I'm seeing the netbios name, workgroup, and server string, but NOT the minimum/maximum SMB level.
  • Checked Control Panel → Administrative Tools → Event Viewer → Applications and Services → Microsoft → Windows → SMBClient → Connectivity, and I see the following:
    Event_Viewer 2018-05-13 23-53-28.png
QUESTIONS:
  • Where the heck is Windows 10 getting the name FREENAS? I'm searching for VAULTRON.
  • Where did I mess up in my configuration?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
What about your FreeNAS system configuration (that defaults to name FREENAS)?

Also it might be interesting for you to read the last few posts in this thread (but ignore the argument going on there):
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...-in-network-browsing.54698/page-3#post-456212

In particular this recommendation:

Seymour Butt said:
# FreeNAS server wins in any election process to become master browser
os level = 255

# Force a browser election if FreeNAS is restarted
preferred master = yes

Also ensure that at least one of your shares has "Browsable to Network Clients" set.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
As for that recommendation.... I'll give that a try. I assume it is going in the general section.
Master Browser setting would be found under Services > SMB

My Windows 10 machine has this setting for Samba, and works fine with detecting
the share from my FreeNAS servers
smb-windows10.JPG
Though my configuration differs greatly from yours...
FYI - my version = 10.0.16299 Build 16299

JohnL7

Dabbler
Concerning the name, while you have your SMB settings showing as vaultron that does not mean that the hostname for the freenas server is set to the same thing. You may want to check your settings under System > Information and look for the Hostname field to see if it is set as Freenas or not. That may be a quick fix but may break other connections that are pointing it as as its previous name.

Mark Holtz

Contributor
Well, I added those two lines.... no change.

As for System → Information....
vaultron_-_FreeNAS-11.1-U4_(89e3d93bc)_-_Google_Ch 2018-05-15 02-21-27.png

Master Browser setting would be found under Services > SMB

My Windows 10 machine has this setting for Samba, and works fine with detecting
the share from my FreeNAS servers
View attachment 24117
Though my configuration differs greatly from yours...
FYI - my version = 10.0.16299 Build 16299

Sight problem with that. You have SMB1 enabled as a client, which is a big, problematic security hole. I have mine disabled and have no intention of enabling it.
Windows_Features 2018-05-15 02-24-09.png

As for local master, that's enabled. Here are are the current SMB settings including the two added lines suggested.
vaultron_-_FreeNAS-11.1-U4_(89e3d93bc)_-_Google_Ch 2018-05-15 02-29-15.png

Yet, does vaultron show up on Network? Nope.
Network 2018-05-15 02-30-56.png

Do I have access to shares? Yup.
vaultron 2018-05-15 02-32-29.png

JohnL7

Dabbler
Specifically concerning the "Yet, does vaultron show up on Network? Nope."

If your network settings are not set for discovery on both sides, you wont look for or be found. Windows 10 does this when you join a new network and it asks if you want to make your device discoverable. That is a LLDP function outside of any network function and is not required for network connectivity as noted by your screenshot with the network shares when you navigate directly to the device. Honestly, thats kinda a nit-picky and has nothing to do with functionality of the SMB shares. Additionally, it shows up with the correct name and is reachable by the correct name so that all looks fine so far.

Are you dealing with HIPPA/SOX/JOC or some other regulatory source for your personal data security? I didn't get the impression that your setting this up for or as a business so I am curious to your need for security by not using SMB1 which may be why your having these problems? Have you tried using SMB1 to see if it corrects the problem as a troubleshooting step?

sretalla