Windows 10 - cannot find disk that I used for FreeNAS before

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ledstripe

Cadet
Hi guys,

It seems that I have a problem. I want to import a SSD-drive that I used with FreeNAS before (think it was the boot-drive). Now when I plug it in my computer it wont detect it. I dont find it if I open Disk Manager. The only time I find it is if I check BIOS at startup. What should I do so I can use it in my PC?

I have tried CMD/Diskpart/List Disk - and it wont find it.

Please help!

gpsguy

Boot from a FreeBSD live cd and look at the data.

If it's FreeNAS 9.3 or later, the boot drive uses ZFS, version 8.0 - 9.2.1.9 used UFS. Native Windows won't recognize the disks. If if's using UFS, you could try to view it with an UFS Explorer - http://www.ufsexplorer.com/index.php For ZFS, you'll need a supported OS>

Ledstripe

Cadet
Boot from a FreeBSD live cd and look at the data.

If it's FreeNAS 9.3 or later, the boot drive uses ZFS, version 8.0 - 9.2.1.9 used UFS. Native Windows won't recognize the disks. If if's using UFS, you could try to view it with an UFS Explorer - http://www.ufsexplorer.com/index.php For ZFS, you'll need a supported OS>
Now I have installed FreeNAS on a USB and run it from there. I also can find the SSD that i want to format into NTFS so my PC can find it. Can you tell me how to do?

gurtonBuster

Dabbler
I haven't done this with an ssd but for hdd i know
you can
type "create and format hard disk partitions" into windows search. open this tool and see if it has your ssd listed. you can use this tool to delete partitions and create a new volume.

If this does not work, you can open a command prompt by typing command prompt into the search bar right click and click run as administratior.
type in
Code:
diskpart

Code:
list disk

if the disk shows up in the list make a note of the disk number, and select it with the select disk command
example:
Code:
select disk 4

!don't just select disk 4 make sure you replace that number with the correct drive number that was just an example!
then clear the disk config with
Code:
clean

you will then need to initialize the disk
this is easiest done in the windows gui partition manager but i think you can do it with
Code:
online disk

Code:
convert mbr

then you can create a volume in the disk manager

it this does not work
I think you can make a live linux boot disk, and then boot your desktop from it. I like linux Mint mate I think it has gparted, but if it doesnt just open a terminal and
Code:
sudo apt-get update
Code:
sudo apt-get install gparted
use that tool to format it to ntfs or fat or whatever you want.

also if this still doesnt work some older ssd's can get stuck in a busy condition, and you have to do a weird power cycle thing to get them to work again you can google it

Status
Not open for further replies.