win8>wifi router>switch>freenas cant see the fileshare

Status
Not open for further replies.

TD_OG

Cadet
noob here so sorry for the level of knowledge but...

i'm trying to get access to the freenas file share through the machine that is connected to the network through the wifi router but i can't see the share. I assume it has something to do with the wifi router being it's on network but i can't seem to find away around it.

any suggestions would be brilliant.

pre-thanks

TD_OG

Cadet
possible as simple as turning DHCP off on the wifi router and setting a static IP to match the LAN and match the gateway to .1.1?

solarisguy

Guru
More information is needed before a real help can be offered...

Can you start with providing IP addresses for your: FreeNAS, router and the machine (let's name it laptop) ?

Can you try on the laptop to use a command line (if Windows, or shell if Unix or Linux) and tell us the results of ping FreeNAS_IP_Address

Using FreeNAS GUI, please open Shell (on the left) and tell us the results of ping laptop_IP_address

How everything is connected? FreeNAS by a network cable to the router? Wi-Fi, is coming from the router or another device?

TD_OG

Cadet
freenas: 192.168.1.113
router/switch: 192.168.1.1
wifi router: 192.168.1.106
the machine (laptop): 10.15.220.119

results of LAPTOP pinging FREENAS:
Pinging 192.168.1.113 with 32 bytes of data:​
Reply from 192.168.1.113: bytes=32 time=24ms TTL=63​
Reply from 192.168.1.113: bytes=32 time=20ms TTL=63​
Reply from 192.168.1.113: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=63​
Reply from 192.168.1.113: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=63​

results of FREENAS SHELL pinging LAPTOP:
Command output:​
PING 10.15.220.119 (10.15.220.119) from 192.168.1.113: 56 data bytes​
--- 10.15.220.119 ping statistics ---​
3 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss​

FREENAS is ethernet to switch along with the majority of the machines, all machines ethernet to the switch can get the FREENAS network share with no issues.
Connected to the SWITCH is the WIFI ROUTER. Connected to the WIFI ROUTER is LAPTOP.

It seems that the LAPTOP can ping the machines on SWITCH with no issues but the FREENAS and other machines on the switch cannot ping the LAPTOP. The WIFI ROUTER has an IP from the SWITCH 192.168.1.106 but then creates it's own pool of IPs for the machines connected to it i.e. 10.15.x.x

camilo suarez

Explorer
It seems that the LAPTOP can ping the machines on SWITCH with no issues but the FREENAS and other machines on the switch cannot ping the LAPTOP. The WIFI ROUTER has an IP from the SWITCH 192.168.1.106 but then creates it's own pool of IPs for the machines connected to it i.e. 10.15.x.x
Thats why you cant see your share. you have to configure your wifi router to give IPs in the same range as your freenas

TD_OG

Cadet
I figured as much but I haven't had any success configuring the WIFI ROUTER to give out IPs in the same range. Can you provide some tips or reading material?

I've tried to give the WIFI router a 192.168.1.x IP address and a gateway of 192.168.1.1 to match the switch but the LAPTOP connected to the wifi refuses to take a 192.168.1.X static IP even with DHCP turned off.

Would love some help getting this sucker working.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I figured as much but I haven't had any success configuring the WIFI ROUTER to give out IPs in the same range. Can you provide some tips or reading material?

I've tried to give the WIFI router a 192.168.1.x IP address and a gateway of 192.168.1.1 to match the switch but the LAPTOP connected to the wifi refuses to take a 192.168.1.X static IP even with DHCP turned off.

Would love some help getting this sucker working.

a) Make sure all cables to and from the WiFi access point/router are connected to the LAN side (do not use the WAN port)
b) turn off DHCP on the access point/router

solarisguy

Guru
To rephrase what Camilo Suarez just said: use one DHCP server. I am guessing you have two DHCP servers: one that is on the WiFi device, and the second one on the router/switch. You can turn off the DHCP server on the router/switch if you figure out how to server DHCP to all your clients from your WiFi device. Not really a FreeNAS question, one comment to the task: your WiFi device would need to be in the bridge mode, so you have one network.

The above might or might not be doable (for a variety of reasons). Just one question though, does the laptop have access to Internet in the configuration you had described?

solarisguy

Guru
Ask in the forum devoted to your WiFi device whether it can work in the bridge mode (if its documentation is not clear about it).

joeschmuck

Old Man
You likely have isolation turned on. So far you haven't told us any of the hardware models for your network so it's a bit difficult to help you further. Also, before someone else says it, this is obviously not a FreeNAS problem, it's your network.

So I'm making an assumption based on the fact that you said you have a router/switch that this part is connected to you internet connection. And the WiFi router WAN port is subsequently connected to the router/switch via a single Ethernet cable. If this is correct, move the WAN connection to one of the other port connections on the WiFi router.

The correct way to configure this is to log into the WiFi router and disable DHCP, and configure it as a Static IP internet connection (Bridged) and disable DHCP service on the WiFi router as well. The end result should be that the router/switch handles all DHCP and you remain on the same subnet. So that is part 1. Part 2 is to ensure there is no AP isolation. Once you return some info on your WiFi model and if you are using standard firmware on it, we can talk more. Of course all may work fine after doing the above steps also. But, make sure your WiFi is password protected otherwise you expose your network connection on the open air and all your data.

TD_OG

Cadet
@solarisguy: yes the laptop does have internet access in this implementation. the wifi router which the laptop is connected to is directly connected to the switch where the internet is coming in and i have no issues connecting to the web

@joeschmuck: the wifi router in question is a linksys ea2700 it does have bridge mode and the ability to turn of dhcp (i'd like the main switch to handle the dhcp) but i tried bridge mode with dhcp off yesterday and didn't have much success. however when i tried that i don't think i assigned a static IP to the laptop (or would i even have to do that if the switch is handling dhcp?)

i did give the router a static IP (one that is out of the reserved range on the switch to avoid conflict) during the process but I can't remember if I did that during one of my many different attempts.

sorry for NON freenas related issues! but thanks for all the help so far regardless.

solarisguy

Guru
Nothing else but your Internet router and Linksys EA2700 would need to have static addresses.

Yes, you can turn off DHCP on Linksys EA2700, but I think it would be easier to setup that Linksys EA2700 works in the bridge mode and is your DHCP server, while your Internet router is the default gateway on your LAN.

TD_OG

Cadet
the only problem allowing the wifi router to serve as the DHCP server is that the only point of having it in the network in the first place is because one person has no wired options in their location of the building. it's only purpose is for that one person to being able to access the net and the fileshare which is why i'd want the main switch/router to handle the DHCP.

solarisguy

Guru
I am not disputing the facts or your judgement, just from my experience I suggested the simplest topology given your hardware.

Let's consider your original problem. The issue is not that the devices on 192.168.1.0 network do not know how to get to your 10.15.220.0 network. Your Linksys EA2700 at 192.168.1.106 is doing NAT and any device on 10.15.220.0 appears on your LAN with IP address of 192.168.1.106. That actually works... How do I know? Pings from your laptop get replies and the laptop can access the Internet. So possibly something weird with access rules on Linksys EA2700 or with the share or something else yet. It would be however much easier to troubleshoot on the flat network with Linksys EA2700 just doing passthrough and nothing else (make sure that all security features that are not related to WiFi are disabled on it).

joeschmuck

Old Man
I agree with what Solarisguy posted earlier that you should post this question in the Linksys forum. You will likely get the answer you need right away, especially if the answer isn't favorable like it can't be done for some odd firmware reason. And you have tried many things already without success. And I'm not trying to blow you off, I sincerely feel you will find a suitable answer quicker by going to the Linksys forums.

Good Luck.

solarisguy

Guru
I have checked the manual for EA2700, and yes it does support the the bridge mode.

Good news is that the firewall would be disabled. You would have DHCP only on your Internet router. I recommend that the EA2700 is assigned a static IP address either by manually setting it outside of DHCP range or by creating a reservation on your Internet router.

Your laptop should get IP assigned from the DHCP server. Check its IP address once it gets back on the newly configured network. Then you should be able to ping the laptop from any device on 192.168.1.0

TD_OG

Cadet
Should i match the static IP i set on the wifi router to the IP the switch is giving it? i.e. the switch is telling the wifi router to use 192.168.1.106.

Also is this all assuming that i enable bridge mode as well?

solarisguy

Guru
Should i match the static IP i set on the wifi router to the IP the switch is giving it?
Now I am thinking that in terms of manageability it would be the best only for your Internet router to have static IP. The same result as static IP you would obtain by having permanent reservation of 192.168.1.106 for EA2700 on your Internet router (use EA2700's MAC address for that).

Also is this all assuming that i enable bridge mode as well?
Yes.

Let me repeat. The only static IP on your network should be for the Internet router that is also your DHCP server. To assign some IP addresses permanently use reservations on the DHCP server. You may want to do that for your FreeNAS too. Then if, for whatever reason, MAC address of the FreeNAS changes you only change MAC address in the reservations on the DHCP server.

Status
Not open for further replies.