win7 VM crashes all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaaassh

Dabbler
I installed the vbox jail template. My ubuntu guests have been pretty stable for some time now. However, I have this one win7 guest that crashes all the time. The simplest thing like resizing a window will trigger it.

Unfortunately, I can't find any logs that show anything wrong. Below is a link to the contents of /home/vbox/VirtualBox VMs/win7/VBox.log.1 after a crash. The Event manager inside windows hasn't shown anything useful either. I think it might be crashing before it gets a chance to write anything.

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

https://gist.github.com/anonymous/ababd5cf84ea5ded21ce

danb35

Hall of Famer
In the VM's storage settings, have you checked the box for "enable host I/O cache"? That made a world of difference in the stability of my Win7 VM (as well as others).

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I have yet to get a Win7 VM to run with any stability with any settings. Win XP64 runs great.

nanopete

Dabbler
This seemed to do the trick for me as well. That's with Win7 64bit pro on FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201602031011 and I do not understand why. I would have thought enabling this would make it (maybe faster but) more unstable if anything.
Virtualbox above version 4.3 on freenas 9.3 would be great, but I guess we're getting that or Bhyve on freenas 10.
I'm not trying to be ungrateful here, I'm appreciating all the work that everybody has/is doing on both 9.3 and 10.
Pat yourself on the back guys :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.