VM crashes, sometimes crashing server as well

Whiskey

Dabbler
I am running an Ark dedicated server on an Ubuntu VM. Sometimes the VM will crash. Sometimes the whole server becomes unresponsive.

My NAS is fairly old, but I've have been happily running it for over 9 years. In fact, my build is here, migrated from the old forums. It has 16GB ram with an i3-2120.

A few months ago I started running a VM for a dedicated Ark server. This can just be done, Ark requires ~8GB to run nicely, so I created an Ubuntu VM with 8GB ram, leaving 8B for the main system as well. Most of the time this runs fine, when the VM is started right at boot.

I always thought that if you setup a VM, the memory configured is allocated to that VM and cannot be used for anything else. I don't know if that really is the case, but I've seen problems that I feel are memory related. Sometimes the VM crashes (no longer reachable). If I stop the server and do a backup or update, that then often fails. So now I restart the server (only restarting the VM doesn't help) before doing so.

First I thought it may be a memory leak or something similar with the Ark server, but sometimes the whole server becomes unresponsive. Because I didn't have that before, I feel this is related to the VM.

I'm late with updating the server, it still runs FreeNAS 11.3-U5. I know it should be upgraded to TrueNAS Core. Also it's nice to start thinking about building a new system. But I like to get to the bottom of this problem first, so any experience, comments or suggestions are appreciated in troubleshooting this.