Win7 PC cannot access Freenas server after power outage of server (NOT FreeNAS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boroan

Cadet
The 5 server hard drives became unreachable from Win7 PC Windows Explorer following a power outage of the server. I tried rebooting the server and the PC without success. Accessing the Freenas server IP address with both IE9 and Firefox results in 'unable to connect' messages.

Any hint as to how to resolve the problem?
Many thanks. André.

ethajn

Dabbler
Andre - I need some more details about your configuration. What protocol are you using to share the drives (CIFS, FTP, iSCSI, etc.)? Also, how is your network set up? Are the server and client connected to the same LAN and located on the same subnet?

Boroan

Cadet
I will try to answer your questions. I am green vs Freenas and someone else installed the server. From the config file:
- -<webgui> <protocol>http</protocol>
- -<interfaces> -<lan> <enable/> <if>em0</if> <ipaddr>192.168.0.200</ipaddr> <subnet>24</subnet> <ipv6addr>auto</ipv6addr> <ipv6subnet>64</ipv6subnet> <media>autoselect</media> <mediaopt/> <gateway>192.168.0.1</gateway>.

Both the server and my PC are on the same home LAN.

After posting my question, I accessed the Freenas server directly and got a full page of command line stuff, fairly cryptic to me.

Usually, when I open my Win7 Explorer the 5 disks of the Freenas server are listed. Now, I cannot access them from WE. Using Firefoxto access Freensa on the server, I get the message: Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at 192.168.0.200.
Any hint as to what to do apart from calling in a tech?
Thanks, André.

ProtoSD

MVP
Looks like you're using FreeNAS 7. FreeNAS 8 is *completely* differently. FreeNAS 7 has been replaced by nas4free.

Boroan

Cadet
Config file starts with:

-<freenas> <version>8.8</version>
Looks like version 8 to me.

ProtoSD

MVP
FreeNAS 8.x doesn't have a config file, it uses a database, /data/freenas-v1.db and it's not XML.

Boroan

Cadet
Well, I was told by the installer that the xml file I have is a copy used by Freenas. I had the tech look at the problem today. One hard disk (out of 5) has bad sectors. So the whole server stopped operating.
This is the performance of a Freenas server. For a green guy like me, this looks like a very unreliable solution...
Thanks for your comments, anyway.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Based on the info you have provided, you arent using FreeNAS, but rather NAS4Free...so your complaint should be on their forums

Status
Not open for further replies.