Win 10 VM VirtIO Crashes

fostersimported

Dabbler
Hi All,

I have been reading the threads however, I am still unable to install Win10 in a VM. Directly after selecting next to install the VirtIO driver the VM crashed.

1642108693823.png

I have set the disk sector size to both Default and 512, but for me, it makes no difference.

I can successfully install using AHCI.
TrueNAS-12.0-U7
virtio-win-0.1.215

thanks in advance

m9x3mos

Dabbler
I have this same issue that I opened a bug to VirtIO project for.
This appears to not just be limited to me.
They are asking for the command and tested the latest with ProxMox and it works.

kaulex

Dabbler
I can confirm virtio-win-0.1.185 works for Win 10. In that case, even selecting a virtio VM during VM set-up works.

The situation is different for Windows 11, however. Here AHCI VM set-up is required with block size of 512 (running on a 4k pool).

What does not work is switching the main disk to virtio - at least using drivers 0.1.215-2. The problem is described in more detail here. Suggestions for resolution are very welcome.

kaulex

Dabbler
I have this same issue that I opened a bug to VirtIO project for.
This appears to not just be limited to me.
They are asking for the command and tested the latest with ProxMox and it works.
Could you please link to your bug report?
What kind of set-up are you running?

I am trying to see, if there are parallels to the issues I encounter during Win 11 installation.

Glad its not simply me just being an idiot (which happens from time to time) - Interested to see what comes of this, as I've noticed the very same w/ 12.0U7 using virtio 0.1.215 and 208. (.185 *does* work w/o issue for me as well.)

James S

Explorer
Just an update that i was able to install windows 10 only with virtio-win-0.1.185
I'm running Freenas 11.3 U5. My experience follows. virtio-win-0.1.185 now works (thanks for this tip) while newer version lead to virtio crashing.
I'll be upgrading to TrueNas in a month or so and see if anything changes.

Frederic996

Dabbler
Hi guys, i've the same problem whith installation of windows 10 up virtual machine of trunas, I just downloaded virtio-win-0.1.221.iso but i dont how to use on my truenas system. can someone help me? please

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
@Frederic996, you need to create a 2nd CDROM device for your Windows VM, and point it at the ISO image. Then during the install, when the installer prompts to search for drivers, navigate to the 2nd CDROM.

Alternatively, if you have the appropriate tools, you can integrate the drivers from the VirtIO ISO into the Windows Setup ISO.

Frederic996

Dabbler
Thanks for the support @Samuel Tai , but my installation crashes first, the virtual machine immediately after starting it crashes. I thought it was a driver problem but the problem seems elsewhere.
Below I show you what happens

Samuel Tai

Thanks for the support @Samuel Tai , but my installation crashes first, the virtual machine immediately after starting it crashes. I thought it was a driver problem but the problem seems elsewhere.

Try hard-coding your VNC port to 5900. You may also need to play around with the VNC resolution. Try 800x600, for example.

Frederic996

Dabbler
I tried to set the resolution to 800x600 and change the vnc port on 5900, but the vm always crash! i have tested my image on proxmox and it works, so my iso is good.
1662223750508.png

Samuel Tai

Don't use the built-in web VNC. That's known to be buggy. Use an external VNC client. Also make sure your other VMs aren't using port 5900.

James S

Explorer
I used this guy nice how-to on install. So for sharing and reference:
https://youtu.be/DO2aPkjk2qM

As above anything newer than the .185 drivers failed for me.

This is a windows 10 install, originally on FN 11.3 now migrated to TN 12. However, it runs so slow it is not usuable. The speed is down to problems with disk usage (as above) - running at 100% capacity.
Don't use the built-in web VNC. That's known to be buggy. Use an external VNC client. Also make sure your other VMs aren't using port 5900.
In travels accross the web I've also seen this. I set a remote desktop to the machine. However speed is still hopeless for me.

My take is that using an older virtio driver with newer windows suggests some thing is not right here. Hopefully some wizard will fix the driver and it will work nicely. :)

Frederic996

Dabbler
I tried whit vnc client and tcp port 5900, but have same problem, also reduce the resolution. I don't know what else to try!