Willing to HIRE$ an expert to recover a lost file

Status
Not open for further replies.

Javierus

Dabbler
Yesterday I posted a problem; now I'd like to hire$ an expert to try to recover this through a remote session (SSH to the FreeNAS box, TeamViewer to a Windows PC...).

I know the time is money, and am willing to pay for it. But I need contact asap.

My previous post was:
I have a FreeNAS 9.2.1 box that works perfectly with 6 3TB HDDs in RaidZ2. No problems with the box: hardware side runs smooth.

All the stuff on it was moved to another server 4 months ago, and today I intended to use it as a backup storage for the other server.
However, I forgot one VM was still using the FreeNAS as iSCSI server.
So, I deleted 4 datasets full of nothing useful, and 4 of the extents on the dataset that was holding the Extents for the iSCSI service. Left 2 of them, just in case.
Then I wiped all the snapshots, to recover the space.
To make it worse, made a new dataset, called "BACKUP", and started copying there the 2 extents I had left on the old dataset.

And, ofcourse, then found I had dumped one critical file, one used as Extent for iSCSI, wich was used as safe storage for another computer.

No, there are no backups, because this was supposedly just a backup.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
There was a guy a while back who sent his ZFS drives to a company that did ZFS restores. There was a nice long thread about it and a couple people offered to help. It happened in ~Sep-Dec 2015.

cyberjock

Inactive Account

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Phew, any sort of recovery sounds like a really, really, really, REALLY painful experience.

I think we're safely talking 10^5 bucks order of magnitude here, if I correctly understand what happened.

There was a guy a while back who sent his ZFS drives to a company that did ZFS restores. There was a nice long thread about it and a couple people offered to help. It happened in ~Sep-Dec 2015.
Those are the only guys in recent memory that might be able to help.

I mean, we're talking needle in a haystack. Except the haystack is spread over several drives and the needle is spread between them and portions of the needle might have already been recycled.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
That's a good analogy.

ZFS recovery is extremely difficult. It's time consuming. It takes someone that understands the structures of ZFS well enough to piece it together enough to get it to mount. It's just ugly all around.

Status
Not open for further replies.