Will the host be able to use unused resources of bhyve?

rockybulwinkle

Dabbler
I am setting up a TrueNAS Core 12 installation at work. I am running a few virtual machines (Alma Linux 8 guests) on it. Most of the time, their CPU is idling and they aren't using all of their RAM.

I don't intend to overcommit CPUs and RAM; currently I have 7/12 CPU cores and 30/96 GB of RAM allocated to various VMs. All the VMs are idling most of the time (they're serving things like gitlab, wikis, the company portal, etc), and, altogether, are only using about 7 GB. Are these unused resources available to the host system for purposes such as ZFS caching, NFS server processes, etc?

NugentS

MVP
I didn;t think that bhyve was that sophisticated

rockybulwinkle

Dabbler
Yeah, I'd be surprised if the RAM worked like that as it'd require some coordination between the guest and host. Doable I'm sure, but I doubt bhyve does it.

The CPUs on the other hand I would be a little surprised if it didn't support that, as I'd think bhyve processes would work like any other process and idle when they're not needed, freeing the resources to other processes. I have no idea if bhyve works like that though.

I'd still like some input from someone knowledgeable about the workings of bhyve.