State of virtualizing FreeNAS and using bhyve

steveroch-rs

Dabbler
So here's my plan.
I want to buy a DELL R720XD with 2 Xeon E5-2650s and 128GB of RAM + a seperate LSI 2308 HBA.
Since this machine is very powerful and in some sense could be a little underwhelmed with the only workload being a NAS/Database Server, I would love to use the extra CPU power for other servers I'd like running 24/7.

I am running a 2 node cluster using Proxmox (honestly just for the ease of management, nothing HA) that is serving my main gaming rig with GPU passthrough and some gameservers and Linux VMs.
I'd like to add the DELL as a third node with FreeNAS as a VM using PCIe passthrough for the HBA and CPU set to host mode. No memory ballooning or other kinds of fancy VM magic.

My question now is how "dangerous" or unrecoomended is it still to use FreeNAS in such a scenario? I mean it would have direct access to the HBA?!
I heard that bhyve is not very stable and has its issues but most of those articles and posts are 3y old... how does it perform today?

What would you recommenc? Virtualizing FreeNAS with PCIe passthrough or using FreeNAS to virtualize using bhyve?

The valuable critical data stored (like databases) will be backed up remotely (twice) and the rest is "Linux ISOs" and music.

Thanks for your advice again, this forum has been very helpful so far on my journey toward my first FreeNAS box.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality

steveroch-rs

Dabbler
Use a Type 1 Hypervisor to do the work (ESXi provides the most tested and compatible platform) if you want to virtualize FreeNAS (https://www.ixsystems.com/community...ide-to-not-completely-losing-your-data.12714/).
I have read the post. He seems to agree that in case one uses virtualization it has to be with PCI-passthrough.
Since Proxmox is a Type 1 hypervisor i assume it will work okay. I will however test my hardware rigorously with FreeNAS installed bare-metal before moving towards virtualizing it.

Don't use Bhyve if you want to do anything fancy (like GPU passthrough).
I won't do that. The only thing that would run inside bhyve would have been a docker host and game servers.

How about jails inside FreeNAS-as-VM? Specifically Nextcloud and Plex. They will work as expected I guess? Just install the plugin and access it via the FreeNAS IP.

sretalla