Why is FreeNAS so hard to install?

Status
Not open for further replies.

error500

Dabbler
I have 4 devices (1 Mac) in my home and I've created USBs on every one of them, no matter which machine I boot the USB from I get errors. Not just trying to install 11.1 but 11.0 and 9.3 as well. Luckily my Macbook is a 2010 model with a Superdrive and finally got to install (currently 30% on base package 1 *crosses fingers*).

Why is it so hard to install? I like it so much that I wanna make it work but it is a pain in the dickens to install/upgrade.

scrappy

Patron
What kind of errors? How are you creating your FreeNAS installer USB?

garm

Wizard
Did you compare the checksum on the iso you downloaded with the one reported on the website?

error500

Dabbler
The CD worked on my Macbook Pro.

I have tried using Win32diskimager and Rufus (ISO & DD mode). The checksums were verified after downloading. The error I got this time was...(paraphrasing cause lack of screenshot)

da0p2
(Image with long random characters.Tgz) Checksum failed

It just seems like it is a huge hassle to install via USB, everytime I've tried it's been a nightmare. CD? Hour long but worked on the first try.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I have 4 devices (1 Mac) in my home and I've created USBs on every one of them, no matter which machine I boot the USB from I get errors. Not just trying to install 11.1 but 11.0 and 9.3 as well. Luckily my Macbook is a 2010 model with a Superdrive and finally got to install (currently 30% on base package 1 *crosses fingers*).

Why is it so hard to install? I like it so much that I wanna make it work but it is a pain in the dickens to install/upgrade.
The reason you are having problems is because you are trying to use unsupported hardware.
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/hardware-recommendations-guide.12/

danb35

Hall of Famer
The reason you are having problems is because you are trying to use unsupported hardware.
What makes you say that? From his post, his Macbook was used to create the installation media--this is supported quite well, and even documented. Even aside from that, there's a big difference between "unsupported" and "not recommended"--and this forum's idea of "not recommended" seems to differ greatly from iX's.

Edit: But even given that, this thread is just a whine. "Why is it so hard to install?" It isn't, for most users. If OP were having trouble, he could have asked for help, but he didn't and is just complaining.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
What makes you say that?
The way I read the post, the OP was trying to install to the Mac, not make media. I may have read it wrong. It is early yet for me.

danb35

Hall of Famer
It just seems like it is a huge hassle to install via USB, everytime I've tried it's been a nightmare.
For the vast majority of users, it works without issue--which is a good thing, because optical drives are going the way of the dodo. But if you have suitable hardware, you probably have IPMI, which means you don't need any installation media at all.

wblock

Documentation Engineer

Having had to install it many times, I don't think it is hard to install. If you are using the same USB stick each time, maybe that particular USB stick is failing. Clearly the problem is not dependent on a particular version of FreeNAS.

tvsjr

Guru
It's a litmus test. If you have to use a cartoon computer, you're probably not going to be successful with FreeNAS. (ducks, runs) :D

error500

Dabbler
I've gone through 8 different USB, they can't all be failing. Maybe they could.

But even given that, this thread is just a whine. "Why is it so hard to install?" It isn't, for most users. If OP were having trouble, he could have asked for help, but he didn't and is just complaining.

I'm am complaining but I'm legitimately curious as to why. I know that's a broad question that requires logs but the CD worked where the 8 USBs and 3 other very well qualified supporting devices did not and it just seems, maybe just my my long term unsuccessful of studies between error messages, that I'm not the only one.

Last edited by a moderator:

danb35

Hall of Famer
maybe just my my long term unsuccessful of studies between error messages, that I'm not the only one.
Well, no, you aren't the only one. Others have had trouble installing from USB sticks for a variety of reasons. But quite a lot of people (the large majority, I dare say) are able to boot and install from USB with no issues. As you've observed, without logs, error messages, hardware details, and the like, there's really no way to say why you would have been having problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.