Why is ChatGPT output believable?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Recently, I've seen forum members ask ChatGPT questions on "How to do X in TrueNAS?" Why would you expect to get a useful and correct answer from a clever bot that seems to "intelligently" cut & paste text from across the web together into a "reasonably" lucid pastiche? This is, at bottom, just another case of GIGO.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
ChatGPT terrifies me. Seriously.

Whattteva

Wizard
Honestly, after seeing some of the responses. I would tend to trust ChatGPT more than random forum/reddit posters to be honest with you. Some people are highly misinformed and fight for it tooth and nail. I had a guy recently call my arguments "meaningless" while providing nothing himself. When I finally referenced first-party sources, he shut up and deleted all his past Reddit posts in the thread and disappeared. But, he was so convinced that he was right up until that point.

John Doe

Guru
we can see that trend all over the various forums.
had an issue with my nextcloud sending every 5 mins an email.

raised this in the forum and some other user ChatGPT'd the answer. it would have fixed the issue by limiting cron jobs execution to once a day.
but that comes with other issues.

however i think if you feed it properly the output is not too bad.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Thing is, ChatGPT will make shit up, but make it sound convincing. See https://insidemedicine.substack.com...ting?r=5p3cr&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web. When pressed for a clinical literature reference defending its response to a question, it merrily cut & pasted together random words into the form of a reference, but no such clinical paper existed.

We already have enough problems with forum members blindly following Youtube videos, Reddit postings, and God knows what else, to try to solve a problem without understanding their issue, and blowing up their systems or data as a result. Now ChatGPT will eventually recommend they run zfs destroy to fix a minor permissions issue.

Whattteva

Wizard
Thing is, ChatGPT will make shit up, but make it sound convincing. See https://insidemedicine.substack.com...ting?r=5p3cr&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web. When pressed for a clinical literature reference defending its response to a question, it merrily cut & pasted together random words into the form of a reference, but no such clinical paper existed.
Yes, but who in their right mind would make any kind of academic paper/research referencing ChatGPT? I think of its use more like Wikipedia for casual users but in a different format.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

sretalla