Which raid should I choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yamanipanuchi

Dabbler
I have 8-500gb drives I want to setup a little home storage with. Freenas suggests 2 groups of RAIDz2 to be optimal. RAIDz3 gives me a slight more disk space.

After scouring for any additional Pro's or Con's I couldn't find any. I'm sure it all comes to performance, but is there way to get an idea before hand as to what performance differences I will see?

The system will mostly be used for Photo's and a few movies here and there. Important stuff, But nothing I wouldn't have 2nd, 3rd and maybe 4 drive at other families houses for backup.

AMD Phenom X4
8gb RAM ECC

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I prefer striping four mirrored vdevs over striping two 4-disk raidz2 vdevs. Resilvering mirrors is faster and growing the zpool in the future is imho simpler.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I prefer RAIDZ2s over mirrors because if you lose a single disk you have lost redundancy for a vdev. All you need is for that one disk to fail and you have major problems. On the other hand, you must lose 3 disks in one RAIDZ2 vdev before you lost your data.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I prefer RAIDZ2s over mirrors because if you lose a single disk you have lost redundancy for a vdev. All you need is for that one disk to fail and you have major problems. On the other hand, you must lose 3 disks in one RAIDZ2 vdev before you lost your data.

True, I guess RAIDZ2 makes more sense in a home environment where the general rule is that people don't do proper backups and are more likely to leave problems unaddressed or unnoticed.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
True, I guess RAIDZ2 makes more sense in a home environment where the general rule is that people don't do proper backups and are more likely to leave problems unaddressed or unnoticed.

Exactly. Also mirrors instantly mean you'll pay a 50% premium per GB while RAIDZ2 of 10 disks is only a 20% premium.

Yamanipanuchi

Dabbler
All very good information, Thank you everyone.

I believe i'm going to work with the group of Raidz2. But i'm noticing with 8-500g drives i am only getting 1.7TB of usable storage. I was expecting a little over 2TB of storage. What am I missing? Im loosing well over %50 I believe.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
If you have an 8-disk RAIDZ2 zpool you can expect roughly 3TB or 2.7TiB and the ability to sustain up to 2 disk failures before data loss.
You mentioned striping two 4-disk RAIDZ2 vdevs. In this configuration you can expect roughly 2TB or 1.8TiB, and the ability to sustain up to 4 disk failures before data loss.

A terabyte (unit of measurement used by hard drive manufacturers to market products) is 10^12 bytes. A tebibyte (unit of measurement used by computers) is 2^40 bytes. See article here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tebibyte

If you need more space go with a single 8-disk RAIDZ2 zpool.

Yamanipanuchi

Dabbler
Okey, This makes sense. But the numbers im getting seem less then that.

RaidZ2 predicts 2.72TB, But once created I only show 2.5TB.
RaidZ3 predicts 2.26TB, But once created Ionly show 2TB.

RaidZ3 seems to almost be equivalent to a mirror (Space wise).

Does this seem normal, Or am I missing something?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
This is normal. See here: http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Hardware_Recommendations#RAID_Overview
RAIDZ2 is double-parity with storage capacity of (roughly) [number of disks -2] * capacity of smallest disk, RAIDZ3 is triple-parity with storage capacity of (roughly) [number of disks -3] * capacity of smallest disk. You have 500GB disks.
In reality you should plan the size of your zpool so that you are using less than 80% of its capacity (otherwise you will start seeing serious performance degradation). So technically you shouldn't go beyond 2.16TB.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Use this calculator to give you an idea on what you can expect for a given configuration. Looks like a RAIDZ2 can give you 2.794TB, but then don't forget to subtract the 2GB per drive that gets stolen for swap space, and you now have ~2.778TB.

Status
Not open for further replies.