Where to Buy Parts Australia

hazy261

Dabbler
Hi Everyone,

I Live in Australia and i am struggling to find some cheap server components.

I am Chasing down a CPU, Motherboard and ECC Ram combo with the following restrictions

- 8 Sata 6bps ports
- atleast a 9th gen intel CPU ( or AMD)
- cost around the $500 AUD mark
- Has atleast 1 x on board NVME drive slot for 2280 size boot drive. ( have already)

I currently have an I7 9700K and a MSI B365M Pro - VH combo left over from a rebuild but they both do not support ECC Memory.

I use my home NAS for Plex media center and a home Data dump for Personal files and Photos which auto syncs with a Google one drive for backup purposes.

I have started down the Truenas Path as i have had a Synology Diskstation DS1815+ for about 7 years and it finally failed. I want to use old parts to save costs but also do my bit for not adding to Ewaste.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

hazy261

Dabbler
Why though? That makes things a lot more expensive...
I was looking for a more modern Build that would last awhile. CPU was Only $80 used but a motherboard was like $500 from Supermicro. What would you recommend?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Well, Supermicro X10 stuff is super cheap, but it also suffers from limited I/O, memory and a maximum of four cores (which is still plenty for a lot of things).
Supermicro X11 (first gen, for 6th and 7th generation CPUs) has much better I/O, but still only up to four cores. Prices are reasonable, though.

hazy261

Dabbler
Well, Supermicro X10 stuff is super cheap, but it also suffers from limited I/O, memory and a maximum of four cores (which is still plenty for a lot of things).
Supermicro X11 (first gen, for 6th and 7th generation CPUs) has much better I/O, but still only up to four cores. Prices are reasonable, though.
Sweet Thankyou :smile: The X11SSH-LN4F seems to be exactly what i am after just carnt find one for under $500 lol. The X10 stuff just doesnt seem to have the sata ports or the nvme drive. Any help with were to buy would be appreciated

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Yeah, X10SL* doesn't include an NVMe driver, unfortunately. Very stupid, because A1SRi boards do.

The X11SSH-LN4F seems to be exactly what i am after just carnt find one for under $500 lol.
The X11SSM-F is typically a better choice, unless you do need the four NICs. If you want an M.2 SSD for booting, you'll need an adapter for one of the PCIe slots, but that's a minor drawback.
The X11SSL-F is more available and cheaper, but cuts two SATA ports and a PCIe slot.

Etorix

Wizard
If you're not tied to SuperMicro, this AsRockRack E3C246D4U2-2T board should be a nice alternative to a X11SCH (which doesn't even exist as -TF version).

hazy261

Dabbler
Yeah, X10SL* doesn't include an NVMe driver, unfortunately. Very stupid, because A1SRi boards do.

The X11SSM-F is typically a better choice, unless you do need the four NICs. If you want an M.2 SSD for booting, you'll need an adapter for one of the PCIe slots, but that's a minor drawback.
The X11SSL-F is more available and cheaper, but cuts two SATA ports and a PCIe slot.
Yeah still over $500 and have to get from either the US or China. Hopefully someone can point me to a local supplier :smile:

hazy261

Dabbler
If you're not tied to SuperMicro, this AsRockRack E3C246D4U2-2T board should be a nice alternative to a X11SCH (which doesn't even exist as -TF version).
That is a nice board and ticks alot of boxes, still over $500 AUD so will see if i can get ahold of a CPU first. Would prefer a local supplier :-(

Etorix

Wizard
I can't argue against local supply. But I went to eBay Australia to provide the link, and I see it at A$365. Are you computing custom duties to arrive at "over A$500", or is eBay playing tricks with us depending on who loads the page?

hazy261

Dabbler
I can't argue against local supply. But I went to eBay Australia to provide the link, and I see it at A$365. Are you computing custom duties to arrive at "over A$500", or is eBay playing tricks with us depending on who loads the page?
can you send me the link? I am happy to be proven wrong

hazy261

Dabbler
Do you know if this board accepts the i3 9th gens? It only stipulates xeon e 2100/2200 cpus but i have seen some people listing it with it accepting I3 9th gens.

Etorix

Wizard
The link is the one in my above post. It gets me to this:
Capture d’écran 2024-02-06 à 13.47.07.png

Unless AsRockRack has put some unecessary limitations in the BIOS, it should take LGA1151-2 Core CPUs as well, with ECC enabled for the i3, because C246 normally accepts Coffee Lake Core CPUs.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I seem to recall that the firmware for this generation not liking non-ECC CPUs with C24x PCHs. But ECC parts like the i3s should work. Should.

hazy261

Dabbler
The link is the one in my above post. It gets me to this:
View attachment 75397

Unless AsRockRack has put some unecessary limitations in the BIOS, it should take LGA1151-2 Core CPUs as well, with ECC enabled for the i3, because C246 normally accepts Coffee Lake Core CPUs.
Its brother https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=E3C246D4U2-2L2T#Specifications

Has the list of CPU's but when you look that board up theres nothing :-( Also what ram do you recommend? I have seen Kingston is a no go

Etorix

Wizard
Good find! I would trust that the -2T supports everything on the -2L2T list—which is just about every LGA1151-2 CPU.
For RAM, take the QVL from the -2L2T if you want safety (or ask AsRockRack…). In my experience with Supermicro boards, just about any compatible ECC module from Micron (including Kingston), Samsung or SK Hynix works.

(Another sibling, the E3C242D4U2-2L has full RAM and CPU QVLs. Looks like the webmaster had a bad day for the E3C246D4U2-2T…)

Last edited:

hazy261

Dabbler
I seem to recall that the firmware for this generation not liking non-ECC CPUs with C24x PCHs. But ECC parts like the i3s should work. Should.
I Have found a supplier in Aus that orders direct from asrock rack so they are going to ask when they found me a price.
Good find! I would trust that the -2T supports everything on the -2L2T list—which is just about every LGA1151-2 CPU.
For RAM, take the QVL from the -2L2T if you want safety (or ask AsRockRack…). In my experience with Supermicro boards, just about any compatible ECC module from Micron (including Kingston), Samsung or SK Hynix works.

(Another sibling, the E3C242D4U2-2L has full RAM and CPU QVLs. Looks like the webmaster had a bad day for the E3C246D4U2-2T…)
Sweet Just gotta try and find some now lol I promise this will be the last question, low power cpu like the I3 9300T or the full power I3 9300?

Etorix

Wizard
Common wisdom would go for the regular 9300 (or 9100 really) over the 'T'. Idle power should be similar; under load, the T will use less power but take more time to complete its task due to its lower frequency; the non-T will use more power but wil the "race to idle", and may well use less energy in total.

Mind that Core i3 are limited to 64 GB RAM while Xeon E-2100/2200 can take 128 GB.

hazy261

Dabbler
Common wisdom would go for the regular 9300 (or 9100 really) over the 'T'. Idle power should be similar; under load, the T will use less power but take more time to complete its task due to its lower frequency; the non-T will use more power but wil the "race to idle", and may well use less energy in total.

Mind that Core i3 are limited to 64 GB RAM while Xeon E-2100/2200 can take 128 GB.
Awesome thankyou :smile: Looks like i can get a xeon e2124 for the same price :smile: