Where did my S.M.A.R.T error go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neil Whitworth

Dabbler
The other day I wake up to find an e-mail telling me that one of the HDDs in my FreeNAS box has started generating S.M.A.R.T. errors .

Code:
The following warning/error was logged by the smartd daemon:

Device: /dev/ada2, 8 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors

Device info:
ST4000VN000-1H4168, S/N:Z300Q1AS, WWN:5-000c50-06428681a, FW:SC43, 4.00 TB

For details see host's SYSLOG.

You can also use the smartctl utility for further investigation.
No additional messages about this problem will be sent.

I also got e-mails about 'Offline uncorrectable sectors' and 'Self-Test Log error count increased from 0 to 1'

O.K. - Hard drives fail, I've had that drive for 4 1/2 years, so I order a new WD Red 4TB online and plan to replace the drive when I get a chance.

I now have the replacement and was in the process of reminding myself how to replace a drive so I don't mess it up, and check all drives S.M.A.R.T data, only to find that /dev/ada2 (the supposedly failing drive) is reporting zero errors for 'Reallocated_Sector_Ct', 'Current_Pending_Sector' & 'Offline_Uncorrectable'. (see attached)

so where did my errors go?

Attachments

• ada2.txt
    6.4 KB · Views: 250

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Presumably they've been remapped either after new data was written to those LBAs or the sectors could be recovered by the drive itself. The failed SMART long test is more worrying, I suggest you run another one and see what happens ( smartctl -t long /dev/ada2).

I now have the replacement and was in the process of reminding myself how to replace a drive so I don't mess it up
Just follow the manual. Keep it open in another window while taking care of things.

Neil Whitworth

Dabbler
Presumably they've been remapped either after new data was written to those LBAs or the sectors could be recovered by the drive itself. The failed SMART long test is more worrying, I suggest you run another one and see what happens ( smartctl -t long /dev/ada2).

I have started another long test, but will have to wait till it finishes (521 minutes according to smartctl)

Just follow the manual. Keep it open in another window while taking care of things.

I am planning on doing just that :smile: I'll replace the drive tomorrow after the long test finishes. It's an old dive, now out of warranty, has had at least 1 issue, and I have a replacement - there is no reason to NOT replace it :smile:.

The good news is that the pool is healthy (RaidZ2) and a scrub ran without errors. I'm just surprised that non of the S.M.A.R.T attributes showed any errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.