8.3.1 - panic and stopped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derekc

Cadet
Help.
I have been running my Freenas 8.3.1 for a few months. It has 3 3TB Seagate drives.
Yesterday it popped up with some errors and then it panic out:
----------------------------------------------
Freenas smard[4268]: Device: /dev/ada2, 8 offline uncorrectable sectors

Freenas smard[4268]: Device: /dev/ada2, 8 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors
Freenas smard[4268]: Device: /dev/ada2, 8 offline uncorrectable sectors

Freenas smard[4268]: Device: /dev/ada2, 8 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors
vm_page_free: pindex(110784), busy(1), VPO_busy(0), hold(0)
panic: vm_page_free: freeing busy page
cpuid = 0
[thread pid 18533 tid 10034 ]
Stopped at kdb+enter+0x3b:movq $0,0x777612)%rip_
db>
----------------------------------------------
IMG_8634.JPG

I understand one of the hard drives is giving some SMART error and I am getting a replacement hard drive to swap that out.
But why would it panic out? Something else that I need to address?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
There's no way to know without more troubleshooting. A failing hard drive can cause a system to become unstable if you are using some low end hard drive controller or some SATA with a port multiplier. I always recommend people keep a spare hard drive on the shelf so that at the first sign of trouble a disk can be replaced. Quite a few users have had a single kernel panic eat their zpool permanently. yikes!

Derekc

Cadet
So, two different issues?
Any hint on how to troubleshoot more?
I got the new hard drive but I would like to do it correctly. I don't want to see it panic again in the middle of a "replacing" process.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I don't have any "good" recommendations. Perhaps a RAM test since its easy? www.memtest.org. Do 3 passes.

Status
Not open for further replies.