When should I actually update?

Claghorn

Cadet
I'm just using TrueNAS on an old PC with a bunch of disks for local in-home stuff (mainly plex and file backups). I see updates available message in the web interface and when I look at the release notes, I see mostly stuff I don't understand. Is there any real need to update my system before a new RELEASE version shows up? Are the Un.n updates important to install on a system that is contained entirely within my home network LAN?

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
Others know more about TrueNAS/FreeNAS than me, especially regarding the update mechanism and what it contains.

However, I do know about FreeBSD, and release versions for it only get critical updates and security fixes, the stable branch of FreeBSD gets updates semi-continually until the next release. I would suspect that the NAS software may be like FreeBSD releases and would be critical fixes or security updates and this would be different for a "train" (I think thats the term used) which follows a more frequent nearer to cutting edge release/update cycle.

sretalla