When / how to delete the entire Warden jails? /jails/ dataset?

Status
Not open for further replies.

diskdiddler

Wizard
My iocage jails are working great. I have migrated my warden ones, I have snapshots and everything.
I'd love to destroy the jails entirely just for the sake of being neat.

I'd even prefer to disable the warden service (but I don't think that's possible, yet?)
My system is running on the bleeding edge of what you can do with such a CPU and memory and it's really straining. If I can take out Warden entirely, it would be nice.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Well it seems to me, I've stumbled upon a completely different bug, causing system instability (I thought I was pushing it too hard)

Although, I would still like to reduce the amount of resources, both space, memory and CPU used, so any way to entirely disable Warden, under 11.2 onwards, would be nice.

SavageAUS

Patron
My iocage jails are working great. I have migrated my warden ones, I have snapshots and everything.
I'd love to destroy the jails entirely just for the sake of being neat.

I'd even prefer to disable the warden service (but I don't think that's possible, yet?)
My system is running on the bleeding edge of what you can do with such a CPU and memory and it's really straining. If I can take out Warden entirely, it would be nice.
So the migration script works properly or you remade your jails in iocage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

diskdiddler

Wizard
It doesn't work flawlessly but it works more than well enough and it's 'finished' - I have all my jails in iocage, have nearly for a month. Work fine.

I made a post on how to fix the migration script (it misses about 3 things, each time, consistently) - if you run the script then follow my instructions, jails are then working fine.
I ended up just nuking /jails/ it seems to have worked - took out my snapshots too. Gone, no more Warden.

Love to destroy the service from memory usage to be honest and any templates if I could but I don't know where to locate all that

SavageAUS

Patron
It doesn't work flawlessly but it works more than well enough and it's 'finished' - I have all my jails in iocage, have nearly for a month. Work fine.

I made a post on how to fix the migration script (it misses about 3 things, each time, consistently) - if you run the script then follow my instructions, jails are then working fine.
I ended up just nuking /jails/ it seems to have worked - took out my snapshots too. Gone, no more Warden.

Love to destroy the service from memory usage to be honest and any templates if I could but I don't know where to locate all that
Sorry for o/t but could you plz link the post or pm the link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

diskdiddler

Wizard

danb35

Hall of Famer
Is warden even a proper service? Does it consume any system resources (other than disk space) even without any warden jails running?

diskdiddler

Wizard
Is warden even a proper service? Does it consume any system resources (other than disk space) even without any warden jails running?
I would imagine it's using something, not much but something.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I would imagine it's using something, not much but something.
I asked the questions because I don't believe it is. Warden, as I understand it, comprises a set of tools for managing jails, but those tools don't take any system resources (other than a little bit of disk space, of course) when they aren't running. It's my understanding that iocage is the same in this regard. But I'd appreciate more definitive information from someone who actually knows what they're talking about.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Obviously something enables it to work, but if it can be shut down or disabled I don't know, it maybe a core OS thing which is built into FreeBSD. Hopefully someone else will provide some insightful information, without smarmy commentary.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'm pretty sure that both of them are just front-ends for FreeBSD's tools and don't have any daemons, but I too would like to be sure. @Kris Moore, can you help us out?

fracai

Guru
I'm pretty sure that both of them are just front-ends for FreeBSD's tools and don't have any daemons
I think you're correct, judging by the way you see iocage jails listed in the output of jls. warden and iocage are just tools to manipulate jails.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Well at least the disk space is saved. I thought my system was suffering from instability due to me configuring all kinds of things in the past 2 months (I'm making use of a lot more FreeNAS features now) - but the issue was the 11.2 file deletion causes a whole system crash bug.

Seriously, the beta 3 release should be moved ahead, there's only 3 left in the queue with 12 days remaining

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'm sure it will be if everything's worked through.

fracai

Guru
If it's anything like some of the other releases I've watched, they'll slug a few more issues in from a later release and keep the date the same.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
That's also possible. Point is, it won't be artificially held back while nothing happens.

diskdiddler

Wizard

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It seems to only be relevant for PBIs. Those have been dead for years, for most people.

Status
Not open for further replies.